History:Box Set Name Style
|Status: This Page is Glorious History!
The content of this page either is bit-rotted, or has lost its reason to exist due to some new features having been implemented in MusicBrainz, or maybe just described something that never made it in (or made it in a different way), or possibly is meant to store information and memories about our Glorious Past. We still keep this page to honor the brave editors who, during the prehistoric times (prehistoric for you, newcomer!), struggled hard to build a better present and dreamed of an even better future. We also keep it for archival purposes because possibly it still contains crazy thoughts and ideas that may be reused someday. If you're not into looking at either the past or the future, you should just disregard entirely this page content and look for an up to date documentation page elsewhere.
There are two cases of Box Sets:
- A set of albums or singles which are also available separately.
- A multi-album compilation.
(1) In the first case, we currently don't cater for retaining box set information and simply treat the albums as separate albums. The rationale is that we can't cater for everything with the current system, and adding box set details will clutter up the titles for non-box-set owners. Duplicating the releases has its own problems; so we typically don't do this. See What Defines A Unique Release for more details.
(2) In the second case, the box set title becomes the overall Release Title for a Multi-Disc Release and we follow the Disc Number Style. Thus the following is correct:
- Box Set Title (disc 2)
- Box Set Title (disc 1: Album Title)
In some cases, there will be multiple boxes to a box set. In such cases, use the following convention:
- Box Set Title (box 3, disc 2)
- Box Set Title (box 2: Box Title, disc 1)
- Box Set Title (box 4, disc 2: Album Title)
- Box Set Title (box 1: Box Title, disc 3: Album Title)
- Joe Bloggs Collected Works (disc 2: The Later Years)
- The Led Zeppelin Box Set (box 2, disc 3)
- Live at the Gorge 05/06 (box 2: 2006-07-22, disc 2)