The MusicBrainz principles form some basic rules that should be followed in order to keep the community and the service running smoothly and effectively and create an evironment in which people feel well. They were manifested in an IRC discussion during the GreatDispute - mainly to not let such a disaster happen again.
The principles are (without any priority):
- Encourage the Volunteers
- Create an environment that encourages volunteers (developers and others).
- Make Issues Public
- Transparency in communications (public) and process (documented).
- Seek Mediators
- Seek mediators for conflicts, ideally, even before they occur.
- Distribute Responsibility
- Distribute responsibility, by asking for help, and growing teams.
- Put the Community First
- Needs of the community as a whole come before the demands of any individual.