From MusicBrainz WikiJump to navigationJump to search
- Releases should appear on the performers’ overview pages and releases list, not just the composer’s.
- One way to solve that, would be to use full artist credits even for classical releases. However, doing so gets messy with things like “under the direction of” or “with electric accordion performed by”.
- Works displays show every recording as 'by [Composer]'. (No, this is not just a display issue: the recordings were created by someone, generally not the composer — and ARs don’t often reflect this cleanly, as ACs can.)
- Listing performers in the title as a disambiguation is not a clean way to handle extra artist credits.
- Credit release to all artists appearing on the cover: Generally the composer and one or two main groups, plus a leader of some kind (conductor, chorus master, etc,)
- Credit recordings to the performer(s).
- Tracks should be credited pretty much as on the release. In the case of multiple composers, you will need a different per-track credit for each one, though the performers may be the same.
- Use Artist Credits to give the name as it appears on the cover (e.g. “The Ambrosian Singers” as “The Ladies of the Ambrosian Chorus”). Don’t go overboard with matching the cover, but don’t go overboard with creating new artists either.
- Use generic Artist Credit join phrases: comma and &. Use a slash (/) where the cover uses a line break as a separator for artists.
- In general, follow the album cover for track and release titles.
- Do not include (feat.) artists in the title of the release.
- Use a slash (/) where the cover uses a line break as a separator between parts. (e.g. “The Planets Suite / St. Paul’s Suite”)
- As it is common for classical releases to have a hierarchical track listing, in such cases track titles should be normalized in a manner similar to works.
HOLST The Planets Suite, Op. 32 1. Mars, the bringer of war 2. Venus, the bringer of peace ... 7. Neptune, the mystic St. Paul's Suite for string orchestra, Op. 29 No. 2 8. Jig 9. Ostinato 10. Intermezzo 11. Finale (The Dargason)
Should be normalized as
- The Planets Suite, Op. 32: Mars, the Bringer of War
- The Planets Suite, Op. 32: Venus, the Bringer of Ppeace
- The Planets Suite, Op. 32: Neptune, the Mystic
- St. Paul's Suite for string orchestra, Op. 29 No. 2: Jig
- St. Paul's Suite for string orchestra, Op. 29 No. 2: Ostinato
- St. Paul's Suite for string orchestra, Op. 29 No. 2: Intermezzo
- St. Paul's Suite for string orchestra, Op. 29 No. 2: Finale (The Dargason)
- Tracks should use the language as printed on the cover. If it appears in multiple languages, use the first. If you wish, make a pseudo-release for each additional language.