|Status: This page is a work in progress.|
An "artist" is usually either a person or a group of persons. While artists in MusicBrainz are (mainly) the people responsible for creating music, they are also used in many different AdvancedRelationships, and in that context they can fulfill all kinds of roles, from producers, publishers, lyricists, conductors and many more.
To distinguish the different kinds of artists, there are different types available.
- This indicates an individual person.
- This indicates a group of people that may or may not have a distinctive name.
- This indicates an individual fictional character.
- This type should be used if none of the above types "Person", "Group", or "Character" fit.
- This is to be used when the type of the artist is yet to be found.
Additional information and examples
The members of a group are indicated with the member of band relationship type, if the group represents a band, and the participants of a short-term collaboration are indicated with the collaboration relationship type:
- Ringo Starr (of type person) was a member of The Beatles (of type group)
- Kieran Hebden (of type person) collaborated on Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid (of type group)
In the case of a collaboration, the "members" can also be other groups. See for example:
The type of an artist can be modified by using the "Edit artist" link.