User:Reosarevok/Agenda for IA Meeting
- 1 Archive / MusicBrainz meeting
- 2 Cover Art Archive
- 2.1 Node Downtime
- 2.2 Artwork deletion
- 2.3 Missing thumbnails
- 2.4 Incorrectly rotated thumbnails
- 2.5 Reject unsupported formats
- 2.6 Include image dimensions
- 2.7 Content-Length invalid for HEAD requests for artwork
- 2.8 Deleting empty buckets
- 2.9 Wrong media type
- 2.10 CORS header
- 2.11 CDN
- 2.12 Maximum image size
- 2.13 GIF thumbnails
- 2.14 SSL
- 3 Metadata matching
- 4 Future projects
Archive / MusicBrainz meeting
- Where: Internet Archive, 300 Funston, SF
- When: October 22, 10:30am
- Who: invited people only (Ian McEwen, Oliver Charles, Kuno Woudt, Rob Derwin, Alex VanValin, Robert Kaye & archive staff)
Cover Art Archive
There are a few improvements/problems we should address with respect to the Cover Art Archive.
For the IA, keeping the service always online is less important than securing good archiving. Which makes sense, but uploading data and then have it fail frustrates our users. Avoiding downtime or managing it so that our community knows about current problems would be good.
See http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-4753. Every cover art uploaded to CAA stays forever on archive.org. This is problematic:
- if a private photo is uploaded by error, it won't be deleted when edit is canceled or image removed from MB
- archive.org is unnecessarily hosting questionable images that have been rejected by MB community (e.g. because of low quality or duplication).
- release merges can often cause moves, and those seem not to delete the old version, so there's duplicated data
We will fix the issues that occur on our side, but empty buckets will remain on the archive. The archive will not delete empty buckets.
Incorrectly rotated thumbnails
Reject unsupported formats
Include image dimensions
Content-Length invalid for HEAD requests for artwork
Deleting empty buckets
We've got lots of empty buckets that need deleting.
Wrong media type
items are being created with the wrong mediatype (data/other, when they should be image)
http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/CAA-26 : loading images could be faster.
Maximum image size
How To Add Cover Art claims the filesize limit is 15MB. However, we have 29 images larger than this, the largest of which is 33.5MB. If there is supposed to be a limit, then the IA haven't implemented it. (If there isn't, then we need to fix our documentation) --Nikki (talk) 17:40, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
Part of http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-5339 -- the IA has some SSL certificates that would prevent us loading CAA artwork over SSL, and which should probably be fixed! Ianmcorvidae (talk) 13:45, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
We should talk about how we can work together to match the music that the archive has against MusicBrainz and how to feed missing metadata to MusicBrainz. (ingrestr & matchr) How can we work together to leverage the music that archive is collecting?
Some future projects for us to think about:
- artist image archive
- music archive access for research purposes