Areas are geographic regions or settlements. See Wikidata for details on how areas are added and updated.
The name of the area.
A variant of the name, used for sorting.
The type of area. Possible values are:
- Country is used for areas included (or previously included) in ISO 3166-1, e.g. United States.
- Subdivision is used for the main administrative divisions of a country, e.g. California, Ontario, Okinawa.
- City is used for settlements of any size, including towns and villages.
- Municipality is used when it is not clear whether subdivision or city would be appropriate.
- District is used for a division of a large city, e.g. Queens.
Begin and end dates
See the page about dates for more information.
ISO 3166 codes
The ISO 3166 codes are the codes assigned by ISO to countries and subdivisions.
The aliases are used to store alternate names or mispellings.
See the page about MBIDs for more information.
See the page about annotations for more information.