History:Classical Track Title Discussion
Classical Track Title Style Guideline
- This is work in progress and not official yet. The aim of this style guide is to impose some kind of order in the entries to achieve a consistent style, so as to have clean data for an eventual text sensitive tagging.
The TrackTitle should contain the overall work (name of the symphony etc.) followed by ':' and then the actual name of that movement.
- Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125: II. Molto vivace
- Theodora: Act II. "But why art thou disquieted"
- Don Giovanni: Act I, scene V. "Madamina! Il catalogo è questo"
- Cantata, BWV 138 "Warum betrübst du dich, mein Herz": II. "Ich bin veracht"
- Cantata, BWV 17 "Wer Dank opfert, der preiset mich": Part II, V. "Welch Übermaß der Güte"
- I left out the The Lark Ascending (feat. violin: Tasmin Little) example. This will be added later. (It doesn't have to be me, though). (2006-12-11, leivhe) The formatting of the opera tracks is *not* flamebait. I'll happily change it if the current, more complex style should be used. (2006-12-11, leivhe)
Examples containing extra, optional information
- Cantata, BWV 17 "Wer Dank opfert, der preiset mich": Part II, V. Aria "Welch Übermaß der Güte" <explanation here>
- Cantata, BWV 17 "Wer Dank opfert, der preiset mich": Part II, V. Aria (Tenor) "Welch Übermaß der Güte" <explanation here>
Structure of Classical Track Titles
- : optional information
- |: logical XOR (English either...or). Concerto | Cantata means "Concerto" or "Cantata"
We should be _very_ careful with not making this too technical. Everybody understands that it cannot possibly mean "Concerto and Cantata". At the very best, the XOR belongs in a footnote, but I'd prefer to leave it out altogether. (leivhe 2006-12-12)
- Agreed. We should have if possible a Google-like style. Maybe "OR" is better than "Logical [X]OR"? Or maybe even replacing the "|" by "OR" below? --MLL Agree that removing "|" will be helpful. And coloring could help at some point. (2006-12-12 leivhe)
A common structure lies beneath the track titles. Rather informally, this can be defined as
- should be: Symphony | [ Instrument ] Concerto | Cantata | Sonata | Quartet...
- consists of: (what about a good-looking table with _all_ English keys here. Chord part in second column. German and French in columns 3-6? leivhe) I agree, but I'd put it in a separate page, in order to keep this one reasonably small --davitof 2006-12-13
- should be: [ Subsection COMMA ] Part_number DOT [ Extra_info ] Part_name could someone provide an example of this (especially with the subsection) --davitof 2006-12-13
Although this is true most of the time, sometimes it is not. Operas follow a different scheme. Maybe it would be better to put them in a completely diferent place? --davitof 2006-12-13