History:How to Build Picard for Windows
This page explains the process of building MusicBrainz Picard and the installer for Windows. It only works for Picard 1.2 and newer, which no longer supports AmpliFIND.
- Python 2.7.x
- Download and install "Python 2.7.x Windows Installer"
- Add C:\Python27 to %PATH%
- PyQt 4.10.x
- Download and install "PyQt4-4.10.x-gpl-Py2.7-Qt4.8.x-x32.exe"
- Download "libdiscid-0.6.1-win32.zip" and put "discid.dll" in your Windows\System32 folder
- Pip for Windows
- Download to a location you find again (no installation)
- in Pip_Win:
pip install mutagenfor Mutagen (1.22 tested)
pip install discidfor python-discid (1.1.x tested)
- gettext >= 0.15
- Download both gettext-tools-0.17.zip and gettext-runtime-0.17-1.zip and unzip both into the same directory
- Add the gettext bin folder to %PATH% (normally C:\Programs\GnuWin32\bin)
- Visual C++ 2008 Express
- Download and install "vcsetup.exe"
- Download "chromaprint-fpcalc-1.1-win-i86.zip" and put "fpcalc.exe" to the Picard source code directory
Running Picard From Sources
Before you can run Picard from sources, you need to build the C extension. Start the VS console using "Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt", go to the source directory and run these commands:
python setup.py build_ext -i python setup.py build_locales -i
After you have done this, you can run Picard directly from the sources using:
Building the Installer
To build the installer executable you need additional Tools:
- py2exe 0.6.9
- Download and install "py2exe-0.6.9.win32-py2.7.exe"
- NSIS 2.46
- Download and install "nsis-2.46-setup.exe"
Then you need to copy msvcr90.dll and msvcp90.dll from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT" to the source code directory, so that py2exe can find them. You also need copy discid.dll (libdiscid) to the picard source.
Then you can build the installer using this command:
python setup.py bdist_nsis
The setup is installer\picard-setup-1.x.exe and an executable for your system is dist\picard.exe, which you can use to create a desktop shortcut.
It is possible that the resulting picard.exe does not show the proper file icon. This is probably a bug of py2exe on Vista. You can fix the icon with the tool Resource Hacker or any other tool, that can edit the resources in executables.