This is the currently approved and official styleguide for ReleaseStatus. Work is going on the style mailing list to update it. You can access the new working draft directly on the ReleaseStatus page of the wiki.
The Release Status is a ReleaseAttribute that describes how 'official' a Release is. The following status are available:
Guidelines for Release Status
The type should apply to most of the tracks on the release. It's OK to have a couple of tracks that do not fit the release type, as long as the type applies to the release overall.
- Status: This is an OfficialStyleGuideline. (This is also a work in progress and there is a ReleaseTypeRestructuringProposal).
List of possible Release Status
- Any release officially sanctioned by the artist and/or their record company. (Most releases will fit into this category.)
- A give-away release or a release intended to promote an upcoming official release. (e.g. pre-release versions or releases included with a magazine, versions supplied to radio DJs for air-play, etc).
- An unofficial/underground release that was not sanctioned by the artist and/or the record company. This includes unofficial live recordings, pirated releases, and custom burnt compilations. In the latter case, we do not sanction entering custom compilation CDs (homebrews) into MusicBrainz, as this information has little relevance to anyone besides the creator. One of the challenges in this system is to identify the "real" bootlegs from the homebrews.
- A pseudo-release is a duplicate release for translation/transliteration purposes. It allows us to retain and link to useful translation/transliteration info until NextGenerationSchema allows us to display the info in a better way.
Q: What's the status of a BonusDisc?
My take on this is that the release status should be the same as the release it came with. So a bonus disc with an official release should be marked Official. The release type has to be judged from the content - I've seen releases, eps, singles and compilations as bonus discs. --ZeroGravitas
- I think it should be determined as if it is a separate entry. Live releases are Live, Remix releases are Remix, bonus discs with just a few tracks, e.g. different versions, are probably best categorised as Other. --Zout