How to Add Cover Art
Through the Cover Art Archive
- For that, go to the page of the release you want to add art to, and click the "Cover Art" tab.
- Note: Always make sure you're uploading art to the right release (i.e. barcode -if any- fits, format fits, etc.) and try to avoid watermarked images!
- Press the "Add Cover Art" button and you'll be taken to a form:
- Press "Choose File" and select the file you want to upload.
- Note: JPEG, PNG, GIF and PDF files are allowed. There's no size limit, although more than 15 MB might be somewhat overkill. Both original images (for example, the ones included with a digital download) and scans are allowed; if you're planning to scan your releases, we recommend doing it at 300dpi.
- Then select the type or types that apply to the image: see our list of types. You can select more than one type by pressing Ctrl (Cmd on a Mac) while clicking, for example if an image includes the back of a CD with its spines.
- There is also a field for adding a short comment if you want to specify something about the image (like "misprinted first pressing").
- You can also indicate the position the image should be stored and shown in, for example to keep a booklet in order (when adding the first image to a release, you can obviously ignore this). Just move the image to the desired position with the arrows:
- Note: The image with type front which is closest to the first position will be used as the release front cover (and displayed in the sidebar). The image with the type back which is closest to the first position will be used as the release back cover when fetching art, and in the future might be also available from the sidebar in some way.
- Enter an edit note and submit your edit.
Reordering Cover Art
- To reorder cover art from the Cover Art Archive, just press the Reorder Cover Art button in the Cover Art tab.
- In the reorder menu, just use the arrows until you get the order you want, enter an edit note and submit your edit.
Through other means
To create a new Amazon ASIN link, follow these steps:
- Go to the release you'd like to add cover art to.
- Click on 'Relate to URL'
- Enter in the URL ("has Amazon ASIN" should be selected automatically)
In most cases when entering the URL it is important to paste it, not type it, or the server may not be able to parse it properly.
The URL will be parsed by the server and modified upon pasting, make sure it is in the following form:
tldis the country code and
ASINis the 10 character ASIN code.
Do not link to a cover art image directly, the URL should always be in the above form.
Things to remember:
- Use the right regional Amazon! Don't link to amazon.de if the release is British, link to amazon.co.uk
- Be careful to add the right ASIN to the right release version. You should not link a CD release to a vinyl or MP3 page! You should also make sure the Amazon page is for the right barcode; you can use Nikki's nice ASIN to barcode converter for it.
For more information see the Amazon relationship type page.
Related How Tos
|Introductory Guides||Beginners' Guide · Creating an Account · Editing · Voting · Writing Edit Notes|
|Basic How-Tos||Adding an Artist · Adding Relationships · Using the Relationship Editor · Adding a Release · Works · Events · Places · Instruments|
|Specific How-Tos||Merging Releases · Adding Cover Art · Identifying Labels · Splitting Artists · Artist Credits · Adding Standalone Recordings · Adding Disc IDs · Working with AcoustIDs · Tagging Files with Picard|