Swing and all that Jazz
Currently the Swing- and Jazz-bands in the DB is a bigger mess than the BigMess, hopefully this page will be a forum for adding, fixing, searching and ultimately, helping out people with this.
please add messed up bands to this page.
initially all entries will be sorted in this (heh) unsorted list, eventually they will be sorted under their band leader and be in separated bulleted lists, with description and differentiation of each.
Mr. List is here to serve:
- Duke Ellington search
- Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
- The Duke Ellington Orchestra
- The Duke Ellington Trio
- Louis Armstrong search
- Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra
- Louis Armstrong & [his/the] All-Stars
- Louis Armstrong's Hot Five
- Louis Armstrong's Hot Sevens
- Louis Armstrong's Hot Five & Sevens
- Glenn Miller search
- The Glenn Miller Orchestra
- Glenn Miller and his band
- Glenn Miller & His Army Air Force Band / Captain Glenn Miller and the Army Air Force Band (these sould probably be merged.)
- Count Basie search
- Count Basie & His Orchestra
- Count Basie All Stars
- Count Basie Big Band
- The Count Basie Trio
- Dizzy Gillespie search
- Dizzy Gillespie & His Orchestra
- Dizzy Gillespie Septet
- Dizzy Gillespie Sextet
- Dizzy Gillespie Big Band
- Dizzy Gillespie All Stars
- Dizzy Gillespie & His Quartet
- Dizzy Gillespie & His All Star Quintet
- Charlie Parker horrible mess is so scary I don't even dare adding the existing entries down here...
- Sun Ra search
- Albert Ammons search
- Benny Goodman search
- Benny Goodman
- Benny Goodman & His Orchestra
- Benny Goodman Orchestra
- The Benny Goodman Trio / Quartet / Sextet / Septet
- Benny Goodman Trio and Quartet
- Benny Goodman & His Trio
- Benny Goodman's Boys
This is just a beginning list, as one can clearly see, there is a distinct pattern to the names, and some of these are definitely valid separate artists. Some are however, not.
Sorting out where what belongs and the discussion that is bound to follow I hope will happen on this page before any drastic mass changes are done to the artists, a sort of 'mini style guide' so to speak.
Complicatedness for example this:
how on *earth* does one sort out something like that? Or is it, not a problem at all?
- this artist don't exist anymore. If it would exist, I would first try to kill it :D as probably falling into one of these categories: (a) bogus VA comp information - (b) "promotional" name used by a late compilation - (c) completely improper bootleg generated name. --- If I can't kill it, I would sort it as: Ellington, Duke & Basie, Count. Sortnames I guess are usefull to help search requests, and I guess this proposal do contain the relevant bits. Just strip the useless machins :D -- dmppanda