The MetaBrainz Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit founded in December 2004 and based in San Luis Obispo, California, that believes in free, open access to data.
The MetaBrainz Foundation has been set up to build community maintained databases and make them available in the public domain or under Creative Commons licenses. Our data is mostly gathered by volunteers, and verified by a voting system to make sure it is consistent and correct. All non-commercial use is free, but commercial users are asked to pay for regular updates of the data in order to help fund the project. We encourage all data users to contribute to the data gathering process so that our data can be as comprehensive as possible.
MusicBrainz, a community-maintained open source encyclopedia of music information, is currently the MetaBrainz Foundation's sole project.
The MetaBrainz Foundation believes in transparent finances.
Board of Directors
Our board of directors consists of:
- Director Cory Doctorow, Sci-Fi author and editor of the Boing Boing weblog
- Executive Director Robert Kaye of the MetaBrainz Foundation
- Director Derek Sivers formerly of CD Baby
- Director Carol Smith of Google
- Director Brian Zisk of the Future of Music Coalition
- Director Emeritus Lawrence Lessig of Stanford Law School and Creative Commons
- Director Emeritus Joichi Ito of Neoteny Co. Ltd.
The officers of this company are: