Status: We (well mostly Dupuy) are currently RestructuringTheDocumentation; i.e. moving the MusicBrainzDocumentation from the main server into the Wiki. The docs on the homepage are often quite dated, so we will try to update and intertwingle them here. But this is work in progress, so beware and read the status notices!
Right now this page is roughly structured into docs for users, for developers and other. It would probably be better to have different structures that present the documentation. So I hereby invite everyone to invent and add categories likefor the following pages. Just go ahead and create some! We can sort it out later --DonRedman
- A collection of all terms the MusicBrainz community uses, what they mean, and wheter there is a wiki page explaining them.
- A description of each type of edit that you can possibly make to MusicBrainz data.
- Then new AdvancedRelationships are not well documented yet. There is some initial AdvancedRelationshipsDocumentation and we are starting to document the AdvancedRelationshipTypes.
- Describes the server-based search (also used by the MusicBrainzTagger).
- Describes the assignement of the language and script attribute to albums.
- Documentation of the PicardTagger, the next generation tagger in development.
- Also quite rudimentary. It explains the decision mechanism of the ModBot.
- Privacy implications of being a MusicBrainz moderator
- The ClientHOWTO (from client_howto.html) describes the use of the MusicBrainz ClientLibrary, and the ClientExamples programs.
- DiscSubmission is an overview of the highly technical content of DiscIDCalculation. (from cd_submission.html and disc.html)
- ID3v240 -- Useful links for people wanting to use ID3v2 tags in applications
- ID3v2Tags -- A list of some TXXX tags for ID3v2 to toss about and try to "standardize".
- DiscIdsAndTagging -- A short exposé on various tagging standards and their handling of DiscIds
- MetadataTags -- Standardization for MusicBrainz-specific tags. (from metadata_tags.html)
- MusicBrainzIDs -- as used in standardized MB-specific tags. (from id-intro.html)
- AutoInsertFromFreeDB -- Explains how data is automatically entered as FreeDBModerations
- Various BugReports and FeaturePages and the like:
- MusicBrainzDatabase—Start page for documentation about the database
- WindowsDBInstallation—Brief tutorial on installing PostgreSQL under cygwin and some key tips
- PantherDBInstallation—Steps to intall PostgreSQL and import MusicBrainz data on Mac OS X 10.3 aka Panther
- DebianVMWareDatabase—HOWTO install the database under Debian running under VMWare.
- Japanese documentation for MusicBrainz Metadata Initiative 2.1
- OtherDatabases -- Other music databases which we might try to work with