The MusicBrainz principles form some basic rules that should be followed in order to keep the community and the service running smoothly and effectively and create an evironment in which people feel well. They were manifested in an IRC discussion during the GreatDispute - mainly to not let such a desaster happen again.
The principles are (without any priority):
- Create an environment that encourages volunteers (developers and others).
- Alternative WikiName
s: MakeItPublic, PublishIssues, PublishProblems, ParticipateOpenly
- Transparency in communications (public) and process (documented).
- Seek mediators for conflicts, ideally, even before they occur.
- Aternative WikiName
- Distribute responsibility, by asking for help, and growing teams.
- Any alternativeWikiName
s for this one?
- Needs of the community as a whole come before the demands of any individual.