Products > Server
The MusicBrainz server is the keeper of all of the MusicBrainz data. Users can use the server at http://musicbrainz.org/ and developers can download the server code and run their own MusicBrainz server.
If you are a developer and want to download and install the server, you are at the right place. This page groups all the resources about the server that you will need.
As the diagram illustrates, the MusicBrainz server listens for incoming web page / WebService requests over HTTP, processes the requests referring to the database where necessary, and returns an appropriate response to the calling client. (See the DevelopmentOverview page for more details). The Relatable TRM Signature Server is not part of the MusicBrainz server. It is a closed-source proprietary system licensed from Relatable. For more information, please see HowTRMGenerationWorks. Since the Relatable TRM Signature Server is closed-source, you cannot download or modify its source code.
The MusicBrainz server is built on top of the following components:
- The data is stored in a PostgreSQL relational database.
- Virtually all of the server code is written in Perl 5.8.
- The web server is built using Apache and mod_perl.
- A selection of Perl modules from CPAN are used; in particular the web pages are constructed using Mason.
- The Expat XML parser library is used to handle the RDF web services.