Summit 18 is going to happen between September 29 and September 30, at MetaBrainz HQ in Barcelona, Spain.
Topics to discuss
Things to forget
- Not chocolate
Schedule of Events
Summit Schedule of Events this year:
Summit attendees this year. Sign up for summit lodgings is now open!
|Arrival date||Arrival transport||Departure date||Departure transport||Lodging||Food Preference||T-Shirt Size|
|zas||2018-09-27||Train||2018-10-05||Train||?||Tapas y cerveza|
|iliekcomputers||2018-09-26 12:35||9W317 / KL1669||2018-10-02||Flight||Needed||Eats anything|
|kartikeyaSh||2018-09-26 12:35||9W317 / KL1669||2018-10-02||Flight||Needed||Lacto-vegetarian|
|rsh7||2018-09-26 12:35||9W317 / KL1669||2018-10-02||Flight||Needed||Veg. Pizzas|
|ruaok||-||Feet||2018-10-01||EuroWings 7521||Offering||Tapas & vino.|
Lodging counts per night:
|date||needed||plan to have|
|Name||Number of people||Number of rooms||Number of beds||check-in||check-out||notes|
Very important: Barcelona is a very safe city, save for pick-pockets. Once you leave your plane/train, make sure your wallet/passport/laptop is secured! Ideally important things will be under two zippers or better. Never walk with a wallet in your back pocket, unless it is secured! A cross-body purse or bag is also recommended.
Check out this handy google map of the locations you may need to find during the summit:
Metro and buses
In any metro station you can buy tickets which are valid on the bus system, metro, and commuter trains within the Barcelona city limits. Buy a T-10 ticket, which will give you 10 trips for about 10€. Ignore any message about not being able to use the tickets to go to the airport. Insert the ticket in a reader at a metro turnstile or when entering a bus. You can transfer from one mode of transport to another (e.g. metro to bus or between two buses) for free within 75 minutes of the first time you use your ticket. Make sure you swipe again when you enter the new transport. Even multiple people are allowed to travel on the same card -- you just need to pass the card backward so the next person can pass through the turnstile. If you travel with others on the same card, make sure to stay together in case you encounter a ticket inspector. The fee for getting caught for a ticket mishap is 100€.
More information on TMB
Barcelona does not use Uber, it's unnecessary. The taxi system here is clean and quite nice -- some of them belong to MyTaxi and you request and pay these taxi's via an app: Download the app or for more info: mytaxi
Navigation: Google maps has pretty good public transit directions. You can also use Citymapper
Arriving by train
If you arrive at Barcelona Sants, you can take the Rodalies train from platform 8 all the way to Arc de Triomf, which is where the office and AirBnBs are.
Arriving by plane
If you arrive into the BCN airport either Terminal 1 or Terminal 2, follow the signs to the buses, taxis, or metro.
- Aerobus: look for the light blue Aerobus. 5.90€ one way or 10.20€ round-trip this is the fastest and easiest way to get to into the city. The bus has free (slow) WiFi and a place to charge your phone! To make things easier, purchase and print your Aerobus tickets ahead of time. Take the aerobus to Plaça España, the first stop. From there, transfer to the Metro line L1 (red) and take it a few stops to Arc de Triomf. See above for tips on how to use the metro.
- Taxi: There is a taxi line outside both terminals. Average cost is around ~35€ for being dropped of near the Arc de Triomf.
There are other options for getting into town. Be warned: These are cheaper yet considerably slower options:
- City bus: The one way cost is 2.15€ and the route ends at Plaça España, via Bus #46. It leaves from the bus area every 15-20 minutes, between 5am-Midnight.
- Metro: The L9 leaves from both T1 and T2. Transfer to the Red Line (L1) at Torrassa, and proceed to take the L1 till Arc de Triomf.
Emergency phone numbers
- 112 ALL general emergencies
- 061 Medical Emergencies
- 080 Fire Emergencies
- 088 Police (Mossos d'Esquadra)