Summit 19 is going to happen between September 27 and September 29 2019, at MetaBrainz HQ in Barcelona, Spain.
The days leading up to and after the 27th-29th are for socializing and for meetings other than the main sessions. And for the first time ever, we will have three prizes to give away to attendees: 2 Bose Noise cancelling headphones and 1 Bose home audio system.
- 1 Attendees
- 2 Lodgings
- 3 Headquarters
- 4 Agenda topics
- 5 Schedule of Events
- 6 Travel
- 7 Emergency phone numbers
Summit attendees this year.
|Arrival date||Arrival transport||Departure date||Departure transport||Lodging||Food Preference||T-Shirt Size|
|reosarevok||2019-09-26 @ 16:10||BT683||2019-09-30 @ 17:10||BT684||Yes||recording:dc0a0ab4-f1d7-4bc3-aebb-64beb7ffc234||recording:8c598ecd-c14d-4028-acf0-3407de9173ab|
|Freso||2019-09-25 @ 11:45||D83656||2019-10-01 @ 08:00||D85570||Yes||🌱||M|
|Zas||2019-09-19 @ 19:30||Train / Sants||2019-10-01 @ 9:25||Train / Sants||No (Rob's guest)||Anything but cucumber||M|
|yvanzo||2019-09-25 @ 19:30||Train / Sants||2019-10-01 @ 9:25||Train / Sants||Yes||edible||eLegant|
|Vansika||2019-09-25 @ 21:10||Flight||2019-10-01 @ 16:40||Flight||Yes||less spicy (Vegetarian, no eggs)||S|
|aidanlw17||2019-09-25 @ 10:05||Flight||2019-09-30 @ 13:50||Flight||Yes||all!||L|
|Cyna||2019-09-25 @ 21:10||Flight||2019-10-01 @ 08:50||Flight||Yes||Lacto-Vegetarian + spicy||L|
|jflory||2019-09-26 @ 12:15||DY 7196||2019-09-30 @ 18:25||DY 7195||Yes||Pescetarian (🌱 + seafood)||S|
|Monkey||Already here||Bike||-||-||No||Hot sauce||M|
|Bitmap||2019-09-25 @ 15:10||HV 5135||2019-09-30 @ 14:05||DY 7155||Yes||Vegetarian||M|
We've reserved two AirBnBs loads of space, located here: Passeig de Pujades 25
To enter the building, enter the 5 digit code (4 numbers, 1 letter) on the keypad that was mailed to you earlier.
The floor numbering system in Spain is sometimes confusing. Make sure you get the right floor! The 1-1 flat is not on the first floor, but on the floor labeled "Primer". The flat has a sign "Primer 1a" above it. Similarly the 4-2 flat is on the floor labeled "quart" and has a sign "2a" above it . Make sure you get the right flat, since they all look alike!
To enter the flat, enter the 4 digit code for the flat and press ✅ (this code was mailed to you). The last person to leave the flat must activate the alarm code! To do this, pull the door shut and press: 2 ✅ [door code] ✅. The light above the keypad should fade to red to indicate the alarm has been set.
There is a terrace we can use; this is also the location for dinner on thursday -- take the stairs all the way to the top and use the left door. To open the door, use the keypad by the door in the exact same way to enter into the apartment.
|Name||Address||Number of people||Number of rooms||Number of beds||check-in||check-out||notes|
|Ciutatella Parc 1-1||Passeig de Pujades, 25, 1-1||6||3||5||2019-09-25||2019-10-01||reo, freso, yvanzo, JFlory|
|Ciutatella Parc 4-2||Passeig de Pujades, 25, 4-2||6||3||5||2019-09-25||2019-10-01||bitmap, vansika, cyna, aidan|
|Mayhem's House||-||2||2||2||-||-||Ruaok, Guest room: Zas|
Checkout is at 11am on October 1. To leave, please take out all the trash and just pull the doors closed. Make sure to leave by 11am!
Here is a short video to help you unlock the office doors and barge in with chocolates.
For each evening we will have some dinner reservations or catered food to enjoy. During the main portion of the summit, Reo will lead shopping expeditions on saturday to buy food for us to eat at the office during the day. If you have particular desires for food during the day, please go with Reo to the supermarket.
We like to share chocolate during our summits -- if you can come and bring some chocolate (3-4 bars of the good stuff, no Hersheys!) from your corner of the world that would be an excellent contribution. If you live in a country that doesn't really do chocolate, bring some sweets that are renowned in your country!.
Equipment for live stream
The last couple of years the official parts of the summit have been live streamed. Last year we did better quality, but with a lot more technical issues. To try and get the same quality this year, but with fewer technical issues I (Freso) would like to hear if anyone has any of the following that could be lend to me during the official summit days (and preferably at least a single day prior to, to allow me time to set it up):
- One (or possibly two) active/powered USB extension cable(s) to connect the webcam to laptop…
- An okay powerful laptop (anything from within the last 5 or so years should be fine), which you ideally won’t be using yourself and also won’t do a lot of other CPU heavy‐ish tasks (– and also ideally running Linux already, but talk to me (Freso) and we can probably sort something out)
If you can help with any of these, please reach out! I’m Freso on IRC or freso (at) metabrainz.org!
- Why do we not have any napkins?
- Genres: How far have we come, next steps.
- Caching: How can we do better on an HTTP/object/microcaching level?
- Moderation: Tools for better moderating the edit system on MusicBrainz
- Indexed search: Maintainers, Python development, and use with BookBrainz
- Project updates: Each project lead should give a 5-10 minute update on their project.
- Zas for hosting
- Ruaok for MetaBrainz
- Vansika for LB-labs
- Monkey for BookBrainz
- Freso: MusicBrainz/general community
- Google Code-in 101: What is it? How is it different from GSoC? How can I be involved/help out? (Mostly for new mentors and potential co-admin(s). Could easily be break-out session or similar at some point.)
- Google Code-in 201: Brainstorm tasks. Communication platform. Other things to discuss for this year’s GCI? (For all people who’d like to be involved with GCI efforts.)
Schedule of Events
The two main days of the Summit are the 28th and 29th -- if you can only attend 2 days, make it these. Other days are for socializing and exploring Barcelona a little.
Wednesday, September 25th
Arrival, no real plans. Rest!
Dinner: Impromptu, ruaok will organize something with whomever has arrived.
Thursday, September 26th
Hacking and Science Museum day!
We will spend the morning hacking on whatever we feel like; then we'll find lunch and after that we'll head over to Cosmocaixa, Barcelona's science museum. Besides the science museum, there is also an exhibit with mirrors that has received very good reviews. It should be a fun after noon exploring science and technology.
If you are arriving to BCN during the day, ping us on IRC and we'll find a way to connect.
Friday, September 27th
Team days / breakout sessions
Dinner: Bodega la Palma 19:30
Saturday, September 28th
Main summit sessions, followed by dinner
Dinner: Cuines Santa Caterina (TBD)
Sunday, September 29th
Main summit sessions, close by mid-afternoon.
Lunch: Pizza from around the corner Dinner: Impromptu for anyone still left. Perhaps Pinchos on Carrer Blai
Monday, September 30th
- More team hacking or more exploring of Barcelona. We'll figure it out in time.
Very important: Barcelona is a very safe city, save for pick-pockets. Once you leave your plane/train, make sure your wallet/passport/laptop is secured! Ideally important things will be under two zippers or better. Never walk with a wallet in your back pocket, unless it is secured! A cross-body purse or bag is also recommended.
Check out this handy google map of the locations you may need to find during the summit:
Metro and buses
In any metro station you can buy tickets which are valid on the bus system, metro, and commuter trains within the Barcelona city limits. Buy a T10 ticket, which will give you 10 trips at the bargain of 10.20€. Insert the ticket in a reader at a metro turnstile or when entering a bus/tram. You can transfer from one mode of transport to another (e.g. metro to bus or between two different buses) for free within 75 minutes of the first time you use your ticket. Make sure you swipe again when you enter the new transport. Even multiple people are allowed to travel on the same card -- you just need to pass the card backward so the next person can pass through the turnstile. If you travel with others on the same card, make sure to stay together in case you encounter a ticket inspector. The fee for getting caught for a ticket mishap is 100€.
More information on TMB
Barcelona does not have services like Uber and Cabify; though the taxi system here is clean and quite nice -- some of them belong to MyTaxi and you request and pay these taxi's via an app: Download the app or for more info: mytaxi
Navigation: Google maps has pretty good public transit directions. Even better is Citymapper
Arriving by train
Arriving by plane
If you arrive into the BCN airport either Terminal T1 or Terminal T2, follow the signs to the buses, taxis, or metro. See above for tips on how to use the metro.
- airport bus line: The Aerobus is the fastest way to reach the city, only 35 minutes. The bus has slow free WiFi and a place to charge your phone. You can get your ticket online to print and to avoid queuing. The third and last stop is Plaça Catalunya. To reach Arc de Triomf walk the remaining 1000 meters, or take the Metro line L1 (red) for two stops, the Rodalies R4 commuter train for just one stop, or the bus H16 for three stops. Price: 5.90€ one way or 10.20€ round-trip, plus the second ride.
- Taxi: There is a taxi line outside both terminals. Ask to be dropped at the Arc de Triomf. Price around 35€
- Bus 46: The line 46 links the airport with Plaça Espanya. Once there at the Espanya station take L1 metro line to Arc de Triomf station (transfer at no cost if you use a T10 ticket). Runs every 15 minutes. Price: 2.20€, or 1.02€ if you use a T10 ticket (available at the airport)
- Metro: The L9S leaves from both T1 and T2 terminals. Transfer at Torrassa station to the line L1 (red) until Arc de Triomf station. Price: 4.60€
- Train: The R2 Commuter train goes from Terminal 2 twice an hour. You can buy a T10 ticket from ticket machines at the station to use on this train (An individual ticket costs about 4€, so don't get one of these). At Barcelona Sants you can change to the R1, R3, or R4 train to get to Arc de Triomf. A free shuttle bus runs from T1 to T2.
Emergency phone numbers
- 112 All emergencies
- 061 Medical Emergencies
- 080 Fire Emergencies
- 088 Police (Mossos d'Esquadra)