Difference between revisions of "MusicBrainz Summit/7"

From MusicBrainz Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(2 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{DocumentationHeader|Archive|Communication}}
+
The [[MusicBrainz]] summit 7 has taken place in Hamburg, Germany on Dec 3rd 2005.
 
 
The [[MusicBrainz]] summit 7 has taken place in Hamburg, Germany on Dec 3rd 2005.  
 
  
 
==Confirmed participants==
 
==Confirmed participants==
  
The following people participated:  
+
The following people participated:
* [[User:RobertKaye|RobertKaye]]  
+
* [[User:RobertKaye|RobertKaye]]
* Björn Krombholz ([[User:Fuchs|Fuchs]])  
+
* Björn Krombholz ([[User:Fuchs|Fuchs]])
* Simon Reinhardt ([[User:Shepard|Shepard]])  
+
* Simon Reinhardt ([[User:Shepard|Shepard]])
* Christoph Koenig ([[User:DonRedman|DonRedman]])  
+
* Christoph Koenig ([[User:DonRedman|DonRedman]])
* Stefan Kestenholz ([[User:Keschte|Keschte]])  
+
* Stefan Kestenholz ([[User:Keschte|Keschte]])
* Masiar Farahani ([[Masi]])  
+
* Masiar Farahani ([[Masi]])
  
 
==Results==
 
==Results==
  
* Short term (as in before end of 2005):  
+
* Short term (as in before end of 2005):
** [[SG5 Disaster Relief|SG5DisasterRelief]], that will bring a simple implementation of [[Collaboration Artist|CollaborationArtist]]s. This should relieve us from the worst aspect of the [[Featuring Artist Style|FeaturingArtistStyle]].  
+
** [[SG5 Disaster Relief|SG5DisasterRelief]], that will bring a simple implementation of [[Collaboration Artist|CollaborationArtist]]s. This should relieve us from the worst aspect of the [[Featuring Artist Style|FeaturingArtistStyle]].
  
* Long term (as in work a whole year and pay people to hack on this with [[MetaBrainz]] money):  
+
* Long term (as in work a whole year and pay people to hack on this with MetaBrainz money):
** Project [[Nadelnder Bambus|NadelnderBambus]], the complete [[Next Generation Schema|NextGenerationSchema]] that has been thought out on the summit. This will be branched off the current [[MusicBrainz Server|MusicBrainzServer]] code and major parts will be developed from ground up. Working such a major change into the old server piece by piece would just take too long.  
+
** Project [[Nadelnder Bambus|NadelnderBambus]], the complete [[Next Generation Schema|NextGenerationSchema]] that has been thought out on the summit. This will be branched off the current [[MusicBrainz Server|MusicBrainzServer]] code and major parts will be developed from ground up. Working such a major change into the old server piece by piece would just take too long.
** Implement a new [[Moderation System|ModerationSystem]] which allows Wiki-like editing for attributes (text and other content) and only keeps the voting system for structural changes (adding, deleting, moving, merging).  
+
** Implement a new [[Moderation System|ModerationSystem]] which allows Wiki-like editing for attributes (text and other content) and only keeps the voting system for structural changes (adding, deleting, moving, merging).
  
* In between (as in nobody wants to wait 1 year without anything happening in MB dev):  
+
* In between (as in nobody wants to wait 1 year without anything happening in MB dev):
** Implement all those nifty little improvements that are due anyway:  
+
** Implement all those nifty little improvements that are due anyway:
*** The new release editor, which [[User:Keschte|Keschte]] is working on.  
+
*** The new release editor, which [[User:Keschte|Keschte]] is working on.
*** [[Artist Page Redesign|ArtistPageRedesign]]  
+
*** [[Artist Page Redesign|ArtistPageRedesign]]
*** Folksonomy  
+
*** Folksonomy
*** [[Release Type Restructuring Proposal|ReleaseTypeRestructuringProposal]], which [[User:mo|mo]] is working on.  
+
*** [[Release Type Restructuring Proposal|ReleaseTypeRestructuringProposal]], which [[User:mo|mo]] is working on.
*** Labels and Cat#s.  
+
*** Labels and Cat#s.
  
 
----
 
----
  
+
 
 
==Schedule==
 
==Schedule==
  
 
===Friday Evening, Dec 2nd===
 
===Friday Evening, Dec 2nd===
  
# Meet at Hamburg Hbf (Central station), around 17:45 in the "Wandelhalle" (west-end of train station) near the "Glockengiesserwall" exit  
+
# Meet at Hamburg Hbf (Central station), around 17:45 in the "Wandelhalle" (west-end of train station) near the "Glockengiesserwall" exit
# Determine who will stay with whom. Whoever gets to stay at Rob's WG will also have to put up with 6 Italian girls who are visiting for the weekend.
+
# Determine who will stay with whom. Whoever gets to stay at Rob's WG will also have to put up with 6 Italian girls who are visiting for the weekend.
# Stash luggage/gear as necessary  
+
# Stash luggage/gear as necessary
# Dinner  
+
# Dinner
# Head home to Don or Rob's place  
+
# Head home to Don or Rob's place
  
 
===Saturday, Dec 3rd===
 
===Saturday, Dec 3rd===
  
# Summit 7 meetings starting at 10:00/11:00. Exact start time to be determined Friday evening.
+
# Summit 7 meetings starting at 10:00/11:00. Exact start time to be determined Friday evening.
# Break for lunch  
+
# Break for lunch
# Conclude with dinner  
+
# Conclude with dinner
# Relax with drinks and record [[MusicBrainz]] team drinking song, so we can AR ourselves as artists (what about [http://musicbrainz.org/track/71f7c8ca-905d-4a51-a114-097b04fe458c.html Alkohol from Herbert Grönemeyer]? ;-) )  
+
# Relax with drinks and record [[MusicBrainz]] team drinking song, so we can AR ourselves as artists (what about [[recording:71f7c8ca-905d-4a51-a114-097b04fe458c|Alkohol from Herbert Grönemeyer]]? ;-) )
  
Meeting location will be at Multi-Büro-service, 3. etage, Glockengiesserwall 17, right across from Hamburg Hbf. It's not even a 5 minute walk from the station. There are restaurants and bars near by. We even have reservations for dinner in a restaurant where some of my friends will take care of us. But, this is not set in stone if people don't want to eat German food.  
+
Meeting location will be at Multi-Büro-service, 3. etage, Glockengiesserwall 17, right across from Hamburg Hbf. It's not even a 5 minute walk from the station. There are restaurants and bars near by. We even have reservations for dinner in a restaurant where some of my friends will take care of us. But, this is not set in stone if people don't want to eat German food.
  
110 Euro that we have earned in Amazon referral fees will be available for buying food/beer! I will go and purchase some drinks and snacks beforehand. Any suggestions for what I should get would be appreciated.  
+
110 Euro that we have earned in Amazon referral fees will be available for buying food/beer! I will go and purchase some drinks and snacks beforehand. Any suggestions for what I should get would be appreciated.
  
 
===Sunday, Dec 4th===
 
===Sunday, Dec 4th===
  
# Send off those who need to get home  
+
# Send off those who need to get home
# Group hacking on a small project for those that are  inclined and can stay a little longer  
+
# Group hacking on a small project for those that are  inclined and can stay a little longer
# Send off hackers  
+
# Send off hackers
  
 
==Original Agenda==
 
==Original Agenda==
  
Please add items to the agenda you'd like to discuss:  
+
Please add items to the agenda you'd like to discuss:
* State of the project and the non-profit  
+
* State of the project and the non-profit
* Get to understand [[Advanced Relationships|AdvancedRelationships]]. How do the new DB possibilities of n-n relations between the tables affect  
+
* Get to understand [[Advanced Relationships|AdvancedRelationships]]. How do the new DB possibilities of n-n relations between the tables affect
** the overall database structure (e.g. What is the function of the primary artist field?)  
+
** the overall database structure (e.g. What is the function of the primary artist field?)
** the searching functionality (e.g. Which ARs should be queried when searching for an artist name?)  
+
** the searching functionality (e.g. Which ARs should be queried when searching for an artist name?)
** the reorganization of the user interface (i.e. display of the data on the website)  
+
** the reorganization of the user interface (i.e. display of the data on the website)
** the [[Picard Tagger|PicardTagger]]  
+
** the [[Picard Tagger|PicardTagger]]
** The RDF schema and the protocols by which clients and server communicate.  
+
** The RDF schema and the protocols by which clients and server communicate.
** [[Style Issue|StyleIssue]]s that follow from this, like what to do with the despised [[Featuring Artist Style|FeaturingArtistStyle]], and new issues like [[Artist Role Inheritance|ArtistRoleInheritance]] and [[Display Inheritance|DisplayInheritance]].  
+
** [[Style Issue|StyleIssue]]s that follow from this, like what to do with the despised [[Featuring Artist Style|FeaturingArtistStyle]], and new issues like [[Artist Role Inheritance|ArtistRoleInheritance]] and [[Display Inheritance|DisplayInheritance]].
Find solutions for current problems around this issue, prioritize work on this.
+
Find solutions for current problems around this issue, prioritize work on this.
* Adding Events and Labels to AR ([[Advanced Entity|AdvancedEntity]]).  
+
* Adding Events and Labels to AR ([[Advanced Entity|AdvancedEntity]]).
* Discuss release rework proposal (to add UPC/EAN, [[ISRC]] codes; [[Release Data Set|ReleaseDataSet]])  
+
* Discuss release rework proposal (to add UPC/EAN, [[ISRC]] codes; [[Release Data Set|ReleaseDataSet]])
* Generalization of artist/release/track concept ([[Release Groups|ReleaseGroups]], abstract releases/tracks + release/track grouping for AR and better representation, also [[Advanced Entity|AdvancedEntity]])  
+
* Generalization of artist/release/track concept ([[Release Groups|ReleaseGroups]], abstract releases/tracks + release/track grouping for AR and better representation, also [[Advanced Entity|AdvancedEntity]])
* [[TRM]]/FDMF/[[Audio Fingerprint|AudioFingerprint]]ing status, plan for removal/improvement  
+
* [[TRM]]/FDMF/[[Audio Fingerprint|AudioFingerprint]]ing status, plan for removal/improvement
* [[Picard Tagger|PicardTagger]]:  
+
* [[Picard Tagger|PicardTagger]]:
** When will it be ready to do what? How will this affect the rest of [[MusicBrainz]] (resources, growth,...)  
+
** When will it be ready to do what? How will this affect the rest of [[MusicBrainz]] (resources, growth,...)
** Expanding the tagging process:  
+
** Expanding the tagging process:
*** make more use of the data in the db (for example put info from AR into ID3 fields, like "is a cover of"->original performer)  
+
*** make more use of the data in the db (for example put info from AR into ID3 fields, like "is a cover of"->original performer)
*** support a scripting language to allow individual user defined tagging preferences (put all words upper case, put this value in that field, move those files in that directory)  
+
*** support a scripting language to allow individual user defined tagging preferences (put all words upper case, put this value in that field, move those files in that directory)
  
* Expanding the data set to include subjective information (folksonomy, reviews, etc.):  
+
* Expanding the data set to include subjective information (folksonomy, reviews, etc.):
** Do we want that?  
+
** Do we want that?
** How would it work? (Would it work at all?)  
+
** How would it work? (Would it work at all?)
** How and when to implement what.  
+
** How and when to implement what.
  
* Think very generally about the growth of [[MusicBrainz]]: What changes will be required to manage that, and to prevent chaos? (FAQ-O-Matic, [[WikiDocs]], Nabble or Forums, Social statistics [like rating of artists' and editors' matureness by 0-5 stars], how to prevent bad entries getting accepted in the database (voting system, edits never expire...), usage info from the Tagger,...)  
+
* Think very generally about the growth of [[MusicBrainz]]: What changes will be required to manage that, and to prevent chaos? (FAQ-O-Matic, [[WikiDocs]], Nabble or Forums, Social statistics [like rating of artists' and editors' matureness by 0-5 stars], how to prevent bad entries getting accepted in the database (voting system, edits never expire...), usage info from the Tagger,...)
* Prioritize desired features for the next year  
+
* Prioritize desired features for the next year
  
 
[[Category:To Be Reviewed]] [[Category:Communication Forum]] [[Category:History]] [[Category:Summit]]
 
[[Category:To Be Reviewed]] [[Category:Communication Forum]] [[Category:History]] [[Category:Summit]]

Latest revision as of 20:30, 26 May 2015

The MusicBrainz summit 7 has taken place in Hamburg, Germany on Dec 3rd 2005.

Confirmed participants

The following people participated:

Results

  • Long term (as in work a whole year and pay people to hack on this with MetaBrainz money):
    • Project NadelnderBambus, the complete NextGenerationSchema that has been thought out on the summit. This will be branched off the current MusicBrainzServer code and major parts will be developed from ground up. Working such a major change into the old server piece by piece would just take too long.
    • Implement a new ModerationSystem which allows Wiki-like editing for attributes (text and other content) and only keeps the voting system for structural changes (adding, deleting, moving, merging).
  • In between (as in nobody wants to wait 1 year without anything happening in MB dev):


Schedule

Friday Evening, Dec 2nd

  1. Meet at Hamburg Hbf (Central station), around 17:45 in the "Wandelhalle" (west-end of train station) near the "Glockengiesserwall" exit
  2. Determine who will stay with whom. Whoever gets to stay at Rob's WG will also have to put up with 6 Italian girls who are visiting for the weekend.
  3. Stash luggage/gear as necessary
  4. Dinner
  5. Head home to Don or Rob's place

Saturday, Dec 3rd

  1. Summit 7 meetings starting at 10:00/11:00. Exact start time to be determined Friday evening.
  2. Break for lunch
  3. Conclude with dinner
  4. Relax with drinks and record MusicBrainz team drinking song, so we can AR ourselves as artists (what about Alkohol from Herbert Grönemeyer? ;-) )

Meeting location will be at Multi-Büro-service, 3. etage, Glockengiesserwall 17, right across from Hamburg Hbf. It's not even a 5 minute walk from the station. There are restaurants and bars near by. We even have reservations for dinner in a restaurant where some of my friends will take care of us. But, this is not set in stone if people don't want to eat German food.

110 Euro that we have earned in Amazon referral fees will be available for buying food/beer! I will go and purchase some drinks and snacks beforehand. Any suggestions for what I should get would be appreciated.

Sunday, Dec 4th

  1. Send off those who need to get home
  2. Group hacking on a small project for those that are inclined and can stay a little longer
  3. Send off hackers

Original Agenda

Please add items to the agenda you'd like to discuss:

  • State of the project and the non-profit
  • Get to understand AdvancedRelationships. How do the new DB possibilities of n-n relations between the tables affect
    • the overall database structure (e.g. What is the function of the primary artist field?)
    • the searching functionality (e.g. Which ARs should be queried when searching for an artist name?)
    • the reorganization of the user interface (i.e. display of the data on the website)
    • the PicardTagger
    • The RDF schema and the protocols by which clients and server communicate.
    • StyleIssues that follow from this, like what to do with the despised FeaturingArtistStyle, and new issues like ArtistRoleInheritance and DisplayInheritance.

Find solutions for current problems around this issue, prioritize work on this.

  • Adding Events and Labels to AR (AdvancedEntity).
  • Discuss release rework proposal (to add UPC/EAN, ISRC codes; ReleaseDataSet)
  • Generalization of artist/release/track concept (ReleaseGroups, abstract releases/tracks + release/track grouping for AR and better representation, also AdvancedEntity)
  • TRM/FDMF/AudioFingerprinting status, plan for removal/improvement
  • PicardTagger:
    • When will it be ready to do what? How will this affect the rest of MusicBrainz (resources, growth,...)
    • Expanding the tagging process:
      • make more use of the data in the db (for example put info from AR into ID3 fields, like "is a cover of"->original performer)
      • support a scripting language to allow individual user defined tagging preferences (put all words upper case, put this value in that field, move those files in that directory)
  • Expanding the data set to include subjective information (folksonomy, reviews, etc.):
    • Do we want that?
    • How would it work? (Would it work at all?)
    • How and when to implement what.
  • Think very generally about the growth of MusicBrainz: What changes will be required to manage that, and to prevent chaos? (FAQ-O-Matic, WikiDocs, Nabble or Forums, Social statistics [like rating of artists' and editors' matureness by 0-5 stars], how to prevent bad entries getting accepted in the database (voting system, edits never expire...), usage info from the Tagger,...)
  • Prioritize desired features for the next year