(See also the list of other MusicBrainzSummit
The MusicBrainz summit 7 has taken place in Hamburg, Germany on Dec 3rd 2005.
The following people participated:
- Björn Krombholz (Fuchs)
- Simon Reinhardt (Shepard)
- Christoph Koenig (DonRedman)
- Masiar Farahani (Masi)
- Short term (as in before end of 2005):
- Long term (as in work a whole year and pay people to hack on this with MetaBrainz money):
- In between (as in nobodz wants to wait 1 year without anytihng happening in MB dev):
Friday Evening, Dec 2nd
- Meet at Hamburg Hbf (Central station), around 17:45 in the "Wandelhalle" (west-end of train station) near the "Glockengiesserwall" exit
- Determine who will stay with whom. Whoever gets to stay at Rob's WG will also have to put up with 6 Italian girls who are visiting for the weekend.
- Stash luggage/gear as necessary
- Head home to Don or Rob's place
Saturday, Dec 3rd
- Summit 7 meetings starting at 10:00/11:00. Exact start time to be determined Friday evening.
- Break for lunch
- Conclude with dinner
- Relax with drinks and record MusicBrainz team drinking song, so we can AR ourselves as artists (what about Alkohol from Herbert Grönemeyer? ;-) )
Meeting location will be at Multi-Büro-service, 3. etage, Glockengiesserwall 17, right across from Hamburg Hbf. It's not even a 5 minute walk from the station. There are restaurants and bars near by. We even have reservations for dinner in a restaurant where some of my friends will take care of us. But, this is not set in stone if people don't want to eat German food.
110 Euro that we have earned in Amazon referral fees will be available for buying food/beer! I will go and purchase some drinks and snacks beforehand. Any suggestions for what I should get would be appreciated.
Sunday, Dec 4th
- Send off those who need to get home
- Group hacking on a small project for those that are inclined and can stay a little longer
- Send off hackers
Please add items to the agenda you'd like to discuss:
- State of the project and the non-profit
- Get to understand AdvancedRelationships. How do the new DB possibilities of n-n relations between the tables affect
- the overall database structure (e.g. What is the function of the primary artist field?)
- the searching functionality (e.g. Which ARs should be queried when searching for an artist name?)
- the reorganization of the user interface (i.e. display of the data onthe website)
- the PicardTagger
- The RDF schema and the protocols by which clients and server communicate.
s that follow from this, like what to do with the despised FeaturingArtistStyle, and new issues like ArtistRoleInheritance and DisplayInheritance.
Find solutions for current problems around this issue, prioritize work on this.
- Adding Events and Labels to AR (AdvancedEntity).
- Discuss album rework proposal (to add UPC/EAN, ISRC codes; ReleaseDataSet)
- Generalization of album/track/artist concept (ReleaseGroups, abstract albums/tracks + album/track grouping for AR and better representation, also AdvancedEntity)
ing status, plan for removal/improvment
- When will it be ready to do what? How will this affect the rest of MusicBrainz (resources, growth,...)
- Expanding the tagging process:
- make more use of the data in the db (for example put info from AR into ID3 fields, like "is a cover of"->original performer)
- support a scripting language to allow individual user defined tagging preferences (put all words upper case, put this value in that field, move those files in that directory)
- Expanding the data set to include subjective information (folksonomy, reviews, etc.):
- Do we want that?
- How would it work? (Would it work at all?)
- How and when to implement what.
- Think very generally about the growth of MusicBrainz: What changes will be required to manage that, and to prevent chaos? (FAQ-O-Matic, WikiDocs, Nabble or Forums, Social statistics [like rating of artists' and editors' matureness by 0-5 stars], how to prevent bad entries getting accepted in the database (voting system, edits never expire...), usage info from the Tagger,...)
- Prioritize desired features for the next year