MusicBrainz is not unique as a database of music information. There are at least the following others:
|Wikipedia||Wiki-based free general interest encyclopedia.||Free||Creative Commons||Yes|
|FreeDB||Open version of CDDB. MusicBrainz supports importing FreeDB data||Free||GPL||No|
|Discogs||Commercial site, switched to a public domain license for its data in early 2008.||Free||Public Domain||artists, release groups, releases, labels|
|MusicMoz||Comprehensive directory of all things music, edited by volunteers. Imports data from MusicBrainz.||Free||MusicMoz Data Use License||Yes|
|Allmusic||Commercial site. Part of content is freely available.||Free||Proprietary||artists, release groups, recordings, works|
|Gracenote (formerly CDDB)||Commercial site. Inspired MusicBrainz to start by stealing all the public data||Proprietary||No|
|Rate Your Music||Metadata database allowing users to rate and review albums. Commercial site.||Free||Proprietary||No|
|SoundUnwound||Amazon fork of MusicBrainz database.||Free||Proprietary||Auto-linked from the Affiliates section|
|WorldCat||International network of library holdings||Yes|
|Open Library||Internet Archive's project for books (including audiobooks)||Yes|
|SoundtrackCollector||Movie soundtrack database.||Free||No|
|VGMdb||Database of videogame music||Free||artists, labels, releases|
|Encyclopaedia Metallum||Database of bands from various forms of heavy metal music||Free||No|
|SA-CD.net||Database referencing Super Audio CDs||Free||No|
|Encyclopédisque||Database of French 7"||Free||No|
|Soundamental||Database of French singles and albums. Has catnos and barcodes||Free||No|
|45cat||Global database for 7" vinyl||Yes|
|The Covers Project||A database of cover songs (songs performed by an artist other than the original performer). Use MusicBrainz data.||Free||No|
|Second Hand Songs||A database of cover songs containing 76422 songs (18172 originals, 56538 cover songs and 1712 songs with samples) (2008-06-24)||Free||artists, releases, works|
|coverinfo.de||Large database that lists more than 50000 cover songs and samples, main site and interface in German, but there is also an user guide in English||Free||No|
|Metamuse||Metamuse is an ever expanding database of cover songs and remixes by major and independent record label artists from around the world. Watch videos, rate and comment on song versions by different artists.||Free||No|
|WhoSampled||Details of samples, covers and interpolations||Yes|
|International Music Score Library Project||Holds the Petrucci Music Library, an internet-based collaborative music score library.||Free||Public Domain||Yes (as "has score")|
|MusOpen||Online music library of copyright free (public domain) music. Offers free music and sheet music downloads.||Free||Public Domain||No|
- Open Directory:
Data available at no cost
Free as in "Free beer, if you drink it in my bar".
- Band Booking Genius:
- "Band Booking Genius streamlines booking live music for Concerts, Festivals, Corporate, Special & Private Events.Search by Event Date, Budget, Genre, Band Name, Location, & and other search filters for over 80,000 bands. Photos,MP3's & descriptions provided for each band."
- nifty little engine that deals with relating artists to each other; the database doesn't appear to be publicly available, but the service is free and in a very usable state
- Web Music Database:
- Music City:
- "Collaborative" music and artists DB. Has content from Amazon and no copyright statement (see also thread in their forum). Beta. Does not seem to be very active as of June 2005.
The following is still unsorted
- Music Plasma: http://www.musicplasma.com/ - very pretty related artist mapping database with audio clips; very little documentation so not sure where their data comes from
- UPC Database: http://www.upcdatabase.com/ - database of BarCodes including music CDs (as well as DVDs, nappies and other assorted goods)
- Daz.com - Seems to mainly source data from freedb
- BPMDataBase: http://www.bpmdatabase.com/ - database of dance music tracks with their bpm for DJs - Slowly dying in 2008 due to spam submissions and no non-spam submissions.
- Wolf's Kompaktkiste: http://www.kompaktkiste.de/
- The Free Track Info Xchange: http://www.threetix.net - works with the Microsoft Deluxe CD Player, and also has a "universal" data converter (PLC)
- CDArchiv: http://www.cdarchiv.de - German site, database supports the Hitbase application
- VIAF - VIAF is a database that links the person name entries of national libraries together. It should contain every person that has ever released a work.
(please add any more you know of)
The above are all general purpose music databases that we have considered working with (well, not Gracenote!). There are probably hundreds of specialist ones like:
Examples of a more tightly-focused database that is crying out to be built on top of a MusicBrainz foundation:
- Sample FAQ: http://the-breaks.com/ - tells you "who sampled what from who", irregularly updated and with a hand-tooled vibe but very interesting
- Commercial Breaks & Beats: http://www.commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk/ - UK television advert music database
- Songtitle.info: http://www.songtitle.info/ - US television advert music database
- Some random guy's CD collection: http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/h-son/cd/info.html
I think a certain type of person would love to have their CD collection info on the web, all nicely hyperlinked and with daft statistics. Maybe listing recent additions to the collection on their weblog like people list books they're currently reading or what they're currently listening to in iTunes.
- Echo Cloud: http://www.echocloud.net/ [not working] - database of related artists (if you like xxx then you might like yyy) based on crawling P2P networks - Down as of 2008-03.
- Cover Songs Database: http://slicks.ulyssis.org/coverdb/ - similar to above, but also tracks usage in samples - Down as of 5/24/07
- Music Recommender: http://recommender.ipsi.fhg.de/music/cds.aspx - database of related CDs (if you like xxx then you might like yyy) based on crawling music playlists Down as of 2008-03.
- http://www.moodlogic.com/ - proprietary, fingerprint based. mood and genre matching "Effective March 3, 2008, Macrovision announces the end of life (EOL) of the Moodlogic music management and recommendation software."
- MusicMatch: Their database was taken offline in September, 2007, when Yahoo! aquired them. Yahoo! has since discontinued the MusicMatch software and database completely.