Proposal:Remove banned characters
|Status: This page describes an active style guideline proposal and is not official.|
Use of special characters
The use of certain special characters is preferred:
- ’ is preferred in place of '. Use ' only if it is clearly as it appears on the cover, or if you can’t easily produce the preferred characters.
- Quotation marks
- Use the mark that appears on the track listing. If unsure, use “ and ” for English. Other common variations: ‘ ’« » „ ‹ › (note difference from < and >). Use " only if it is clearly as it appears on the cover, or if you can’t easily produce the preferred characters.
- Use single prime (′), double-prime (″), and triple-prime where appropriate (single prime indicates minutes and feet; double-prime indicates seconds and inches)
- Use the ellipsis character (…) instead of three periods (...)
- Use the em dash (—) and en dash (–) where appropriate. If you can’t easily enter these characters, use - for en dash and -- for em dash. Other editors should correct these where possible.
"Top something" Playlists
Bootleg torrents that are compilations based on playlists of charts authorities (like Billboard's) should not be stored in MusicBrainz as releases. These playlists are often copyrighted by their issuers.