In MusicBrainzTerminology, a series is a sequence of separate Releases or Tracks with a common theme, artist, label or genre; usually prominent in the naming of branding of releases or tracks in the series. For release series, individual releases are often denoted with a volume or series number, but this is not necessary for them to be considered a series. A series can vary between two and hundreds of releases.
- FabricLive 35: Marcus Intalex is the 35th release in the FabricLive compilation series.
- Promo Only: Modern Rock Radio, October 2006 is the October 2006 release in the Promo Only: Modern Rock Radio series.
- Casino Royale, Volume 1: For the Hustlers is the first release in a 2-part concept DJ mix series by DJ Rectangle.
- Metallica's The Unforgiven, The Unforgiven II and The Unforgiven III are a track series.
- Series of releases can be linked to each other using the PartOfSeriesRelationshipType AdvancedRelationship. Consult the documentation there for guidelines on when to use this relationship. Important: Not all series may be suitable for use with this relationship.
- The community has agreed upon weak SeriesStyleGuidelines for a select number of release and track series. Other series have have de facto standards in place through community edit agreement.
- SeriesNumberStyle discusses VolumeNumberStyle and PartNumberStyle which can apply to some release and track series.
- SubTitleStyle is often used to separate the series' title and a specific release's title.
Sources for series information
- There's a comprehensive site about sampler series in Germany (in German).
Catalogs of series
The following is a non-exhaustive set of series cataloged in the MB documentation prior to the implementation of the PartOfSeriesRelationshipType. When/if such a relationship is implemented, many, or all of these series below should be linked with this relationship and then removed from the documentation.
Prior to the AR implementation, the standard was that if a series had ten releases or more, to create a page like below and add to the ReleaseAnnotation an entry like Series/DreamDance using the below markup:
- 20th Century Masters
- 20 Years on MTV
- Alan Lomax Recordings
- As & When
- Bach Edition: Complete Works (Brilliant Classics)
- Back to Mine
- Big City Beats
- Bugged Out!
- Café del Mar
- Chip Jockey
- Daytrotter Session
- Dream Dance
- France Inter Black Sessions
- Future Trance
- Glenn Gould: The Complete Original Jacket Collection
- Global Underground
- Groove Experience
- Hard Dance Mania
- Die Hit-Giganten
- Isaac Stern: A Life in Music
- Jazz & Blues Collection
- Jazz in Paris
- Late Night Tales
- Mayday Compilation
- Ministry of Sound
- Now That's What I Call Music!
- Radio 538 Dance Smash Hits
- RAS Portraits
- Franz Schubert - The Masterworks
- So Fresh
- Sunshine Live
- Technics DJ Set
- Techno Club
- Tunnel Trance Force
- The Complete Piano Music of Franz Liszt Played by Leslie Howard
- The Romantic Piano Concerto (hyperion)
- The Vibe !
- Trojan Box Set
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Complete Works (Brilliant Classics version)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Complete Mozart Edition (Philips version)
- YTMND Soundtrack