Purpose of this page
The purpose of this page is to maintain a list of soul compositions that have been recorded many times - with at least 10 entries to the MusicBrainz database - that present either numerous spelling variants, or some specific spelling and/or capitalization difficulty.
Track titles should be harmonized according to the composition title variants that have been chosen.
By "chosen", we mean the following:
- a proposed composition title first enters this page in the "To be discussed" list
- after it is discussed, eventually changed and approved by both soul oriented moderators and native english speakers concerned by style and spelling, it enters the main list
Note that this page is not an official styleguide, it's nothing more than an "ongoing tidying effort memo".
-Proposed- guidelines for this page
- Identify the title
- First release
- Find it on ASCAP/BMI (favour the main entry over variants)
- Check AllMusicGuide, serious discographies, cover scans...
- Decide and propose a title
- Wait one week or two for discussion, proposed changes, approval
- Harmonize all the occurences of your title
- Report your harmonization, including date (and possibly number of occurences)
Compositions list (proposed)
- Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
- is like a heat wave&type=track&limit=100 (Love Is Like a) Heat Wave
- Composer: Holland-Dozier-Holland
- BMI states "LOVE IS LIKE A HEAT WAVE" as legal title
- Variants: Heat Wave, Heatwave, Love Is Like a Heat Wave, Love Is Like a (Heat Wave), etc
- Approved by: Creap
- Discussion: A Holland-Dozier-Holland discography is possibly coming soon, which will hopefully give some clarification. "Heat Wave" is used on several prints of the 7" single. Also see discussion in this edit note.
Use the following format to propose a composition:
- Proposed variant
- Composer: Composer(s) name
- Other sources (AMG/discogs/etc)
- Variants: list of known variants, mispelling, improper capitalization
- Approved by: Creap (<- your nick name), (others will add their name here if they agree)
- Discussion: if needed, your own additional comments, and of course the following discussion
- Clean-up status: it's strongly recommended you don't start working on it before it's approved.
To be discussed
- Add any composition