Difference between revisions of "Style/Artist/Sort Name"
From MusicBrainz Wiki
Revision as of 08:50, 8 October 2011
|Status: This is an official style guideline.|
This page describes how to format an artist's sort name.
- 1 Guidelines
- 2 Examples
- 2.1 Guideline 1. Name of a person
- 2.2 Guideline 1a. Middle names and nicknames
- 2.3 Guideline 1b. Name begins with an abbreviated title
- 2.4 Guideline 1c. Last name begins with abbreviation
- 2.5 Guideline 2. Name of a group
- 2.6 Guideline 2a. Name of a person in a group artist name
- 2.7 Guideline 3. Latin script only
- 2.8 Guideline 4. De-stylize
- 2.9 Guideline 5. Accented Latin characters
- 2.10 Guideline 6. Numerals
- 2.11 Exception 1. Nothing to trans(liter)ate
- 2.12 Exception 2. Unicode combining character accents
- Person artist names have sort name "last name, first name".
- Middle names and nicknames should be treated as a part of the first name.
- Names beginning with an abbreviated title, such as Dr., DJ, or MC should have the title treated as if it were a part of the first name.
- Last names which begin with an abbreviation should have the abbreviation expanded in the sort name.
- Group artist names beginning with an article (a, an, the, etc.) have the article moved to the end of their sort name, unless guideline 2a applies.
- Where a real person's name appears in a group artist's name, the artist's sort name should be the sort name for that person, followed by the remainder of the group artist's name.
- All artist sort names should be in Latin script. If the artist's name is normally written using a non-Latin script, use the Latin script translated or transliterated name by which the artist is most commonly known.
- For artist names containing stylized characters, change those characters to their equivalent Latin script letter, removing any style-only punctuation, spacing, or other characters.
- Artist sort names should retain all Latin diacritics present in the artist name.
- Numerals present in the artist name do not change.
- Any stylistic ligatures in the artist's name (ᵫ, ﬀ, ﬁ, ﬂ, ﬃ, ﬄ, ﬅ, ﬆ, etc) should be simplified to separate letters. Non-stylistic ligatures (&, ß, Æ, æ, Œ, œ, and sometimes ĳ) should not be simplified.
- Only halfwidth characters should be used. Fullwidth Latin characters should be converted to their halfwidth equivalents.
- All disparate parts of a sort name should be separated by ", " (comma and space).
- If the artist's name contains only stylized characters, which have no inherent meaning to translate, and which cannot be transliterated, then the sort name is the artist's name, even if this would mean the sort name would now not use Latin script.
- Latin characters whose diacritics are only made possible through use of Unicode combining characters should omit those diacritics.
All examples should be interpreted as clarification upon the guidelines; no new guidelines should be interpreted from any example.
Guideline 1. Name of a person
Guideline 1a. Middle names and nicknames
- Jean 'Toots' Thielemans has sort name "Thielemans, Jean 'Toots'"
Guideline 1b. Name begins with an abbreviated title
- DJ Shah has sort name "Shah, DJ"
- SPC Stephen Pauls has sort name "Pauls, SPC Stephen"
Guideline 1c. Last name begins with abbreviation
Guideline 2. Name of a group
- A Perfect Circle has sort name "Perfect Circle, A"
- An Epic at Best has sort name "Epic at Best, An"
- No Article
- Guideline 2a overriding guideline 2
- "The Sensational Alex Harvey Band" has sort name "Harvey, Alex, The Sensational, Band"
Guideline 2a. Name of a person in a group artist name
- Ben Folds Five has sort name "Folds, Ben, Five"
- Bill Haley & His Comets has sort name "Haley, Bill & His Comets"
- Bob Marley and the Wailers has sort name "Marley, Bob and the Wailers"
- Dave Matthews Band has sort name "Matthews, Dave, Band
- Don Redman and His Orchestra has sort name "Redman, Don and His Orchestra"
- Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine has sort name "Estefan, Gloria and the Miami Sound Machine"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble has sort name "Vaughan, Stevie Ray and Double Trouble"
- The Alan Parsons Project has sort name "Parsons, Alan, The, Project"
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience has sort name "Hendrix, Jimi, The, Experience"
- The Great Orchestra and John Doe has sort name "Doe, John, The Great Orchestra and"
Guideline 3. Latin script only
Guideline 4. De-stylize
Guideline 5. Accented Latin characters
- René Löwe has sort name "Löwe, René"
Guideline 6. Numerals
Exception 1. Nothing to trans(liter)ate
Exception 2. Unicode combining character accents
- Spın̈al Tap has sort name "Spınal Tap"