The Classical Style Guide (CSG) is a set of guidelines that explains how (and when) "classical" music should be handled differently from "non-classical" in Musicbrainz. "Classical" is used here in the broadest sense, and is not meant to refer specifically to the Classical Period in Western music.
In a nutshell
Follow this checklist, and classical editing gets a lot easier.
- Add the label and the catalog number. These are usually found on the spine. Guide.
- Use the title as it appears on the cover. Composer or performer names do not belong in the titles. Titles of classical releases are often just a list of works. Details.
- Use only the artists that appear on the cover. Composers first, then performers. Use full names, not just last Details.
- Track artist should be the composer, or [unknown]. Details.
- Add performance relationships.
- Add work relationships.
- Set the recording artist to the performer.