From MusicBrainz Wiki
Problems with Recordings
- Most casual editors don't know, which recording should be related to which track, because there is no obviously correct entity. So they choose either a new recording (best choise, when in doubt) or a recording with the same name and a similar length.
- It is hard to split recordings, which were incorrectly merged (or reused, see above), because the information which fingerprint was added originally for which track is lost (can't be stored, because a track has no identifier).
Fingerprints / Digests
- Tracks should have an identifier
- It should be difficult (require vote or at least confirmation) to relate more than one fingerprint of the same type to a track
Most levels should be optional. Entities, that could be useful, are:
- Work Group ("I don't know which variant of this work it is..." - some traditional works have this problem)
- Performance Group (Perfomances by this artist. Tree-structure possible, e.g. subgroup by band-members, subsubgroup by tour ...)
- Performance (Could be releated to Place/Time/Events. "Live" attribute should be on this level)
In most cases it should be possible, to relate a track at least to the correct performance group.