User:Symphonick/unofficial csg release names
|Status: My research, questions & comments for the upcoming CSG for release & release groups. This is NOT a guideline.|
The general guidelines for Release group names
The old CSGv2 release & releasegroup proposal
Composer as artist
The ReleaseArtist of a classical Release should always be the composer(s), never the performer. However, we make the following exceptions:
- Mixed recitals by a performer or group
- Classical "Covers"
single composer single work example?
from CHAN 9052
For the title, fixing caps & errors, joining multiple works with a slash as in multipletitlestyle.
Release title: Symphonie Fantastique / Le Corsaire Release artist: Hector Berlioz
So we don't add composers to the release title for releases with a single composer.
Multiple composers on one release
If there are 2 composers, use both:
Janáček String Quartets 1 & 2
Dvořák from Cypresses
New Helsinki Quartet
from apex 0927 40603 2
Use a slash between multiple composers, just as with multiple titles:
Release title: Janáček: String Quartets 1 & 2 / Dvořák: from Cypresses Release artist: Hector Berlioz
But now we must add the composers to the title, or it could be unclear who wrote what.
use the printed version of the composer's name in the title, don't for instance change scripts
Mixed recitals by a performer or group
In cases where a release features a single performer or group and contains works from multiple composers, that performer or group may be designated the ReleaseArtist, with each TrackArtist assigned to the appropriate composer.
- Examples: Favorite Encores (feat. piano: Vladimir Horowitz) Black Angels (Kronos Quartet) Passion of Callas (disc 1) However, on a release like 3 Masses of the 20th Century (Mikaeli Kammarkör, Anders Eby) there is no clear choice for primary performer. It must remain under VariousArtists.
- Do not create new Artists for performer collaborations (such as "Herbert von Karajan & The Berlin Philharmonic.")
- Also, do not use this style for conductors who are also composers (such as Leonard Bernstein or Pierre Boulez.)
- This recital style does not apply to releases with works by only one composer (such as Sole e Amore (Kiri Te Kanawa)), however much they might emphasize the performer.
In releases where classical works are arranged, remixed, or otherwise substantially modified by the primary performer, that performer should be designated as ReleaseArtist. The composer(s) should be attributed only by AdvancedRelationships of the ComposerRelationshipType either to the whole album (if there is only one composer), or the individual tracks (if there are several composers). here we say arrangements is an exeption, but further down it's not?
- Examples: Béla Fleck: Perpetual Motion Jacques Loussier: Play Bach No. 1 William Orbit: Pieces in a Modern Style
When dealing with works that are NOT covers, the composer is designated as artist, as usual:
- J.S. Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites Performed on Double Bass (Edgar Meyer). Here Bach is credited as the Artist and Edgar Meyer's transcriptions are indicated with an ArrangerRelationshipType.
Also, when one composer has arranged a work by another, one would use the same plan:
- Franz Schubert's German Dances, D. 820 as arranged by Anton Webern should be entered with Schubert as the TrackArtist, and connected to Webern via the ArrangerRelationshipType. Benjamin Britten's arrangement of the tune "Tom Bowling" should be entered with [trad.] as the TrackArtist and connected to Britten via the ArrangerRelationshipType. Beethoven Symphonies 5, 6 in Piano Transcription by Franz Liszt (feat. piano: Glenn Gould)
Performers for recordings
maybe for another page?
The correct way to enter performers in MB is by using Advanced Releationships between the recordings & the performer, and you should always do that.
But we also need a minimum of performers in the comment field, for disambiguation when we search for recordings (there are more Symphonie Fantastiques (?) in MB). correct? btw Do recordings need performers disambiguation?
(Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra feat. conductor Gennady Rozdestvensky)
as before, only add performers who performs on every track on the release?