Difference between revisions of "User:Th1rtyf0ur/Style/Specific types of releases/Live bootlegs"
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
''Note:'' This guideline applies to the
''Note:'' This guideline applies to the of a bootleg [[Release Group|release group]]. For of a live [[Recording|recording]], see [[Style/Recording#Live recordings|live recordings]]. For of a release, see the [[Style/Track_and_release_titles|track and release titles guideline]] the release is untitled, use the release group title as determined below.
== Guidelines ==
== Guidelines ==
Revision as of 15:39, 24 July 2013
|Status: This page describes an active style guideline proposal and is not official.|
Note: This guideline applies to the title of a bootleg release group. For the title of a live recording, see live recordings. For the title of a release, see the track and release titles guideline. If the release is untitled, use the release group title as determined below.
The following rules apply when titling a live bootleg release group:
- Live bootlegs without a title must be named by concatenating its date and location information.
- Syntax: "YYYY-MM-DD: Location".
- Live bootlegs with a single, unique release title should extend the title of the release group with date and location information as follows:
- Syntax: "[YYYY-MM-DD: ]Title[: Location]". Note that this only applies to the release group and not to the release itself.
- If there is alternative dividing punctuation mark at the end of the title such as the question mark (?) or exclamation point (!), use that mark instead of the colon.
- The location must be formatted using the city and country, and may include a venue and/or state.
- Syntax: "[Venue, ]City, [State, ]Country".
- The parts in square brackets are optional.
- YYYY-MM-DD is the date of the recording including the year (YYYY), month (MM) and day of month (DD).
- Venue is the name of the location where the concert took place (name of the hotel, stadium, hall, etc.).
- City can be the city, town or village.
- State is to further distinguish cities with identical names (such as Pasadena, TX in Texas vs Pasadena, CA in California) and may be referred to as a province in some countries. See State Abbreviations.
- Country is the country.
For live concerts that have multiple bootleg releases with different titles, the release group title should use only the date and location as detailed above, without any additional titles. Each release should then be listed under its own title. Releases without a title should use the same title as the release group. If there are multiple releases from different sources, these should be distinguished in the release's disambiguation note.
This guideline must not be used for live bootleg compilations, which are releases that collect tracks from different live sessions, e.g. A Highway of Diamonds, Volume 1: The Never Ending Tour.
This guideline can be applied to release groups which feature a complete live session and additional bonus tracks (those can be live tracks from other concerts or studio recordings), e.g. 2002-05-02: Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
If a live bootleg release is recorded in the Netherlands, put just "Netherlands" as the country as per the listing on the Release Country page.
In a lot of cases the most important information for live bootlegs is the date and location when the concert took place. Hiding this information for bootlegs where the person who compiled the release added a title means that it is harder to find a special recording of a live session, because live bootlegs often don't have a release date. Adding the venue is useful for finding all concerts an artist performed in one city over the years or all concerts that took place in a special location by using the search interface.
Live bootlegs with a specified title
- Elvis Has Just Left the Building
- A collection of live Led Zeppelin songs, including several Elvis covers, spanning multiple, non-consecutive dates. Should not be extended.
- 1980-12-21: Before the Exile! Rainbow Theatre, London, UK
- This shows how punctuation marks replace the colon.
Live bootlegs without a title
- 2000-11-29: United Center, Chicago, IL, USA
- Uses date and location info for title of release group and release, as detailed above.
Release Group containing both types of releases
- 1993-10-05: First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- A complete show, or at least all tracks from the same show, released under multiple titles, using the date and location for the release group and untitled release, and the specified bootleg title for that release.