historical edit information
Hi Nikki I'm guessing there's a lot of info in the wiki which has become inapplicable to NGS. Would it be useful to add 'Historical' sections retaining (some) of that info/those instructions? I'm not thinking of anything in particular though; e.g. I don't think the info on 'non-album tracks' you deleted would have any relevance to future readers.. ETA: I see Style/Old style practices exists. That seems to be the correct place for info like that, I guess. --Azertus 15:05, 21 May 2011 (UTC)
- Indeed. The wiki needs a huge clean out. We already have a history namespace where we can move old stuff if we want to keep it, let me (or any of the other wiki-editors listed on Special:ListUsers who're around) know if you want a page moving there.
- By the way, I'm not keen on the idea of Category:NGS Specific Terminology, "NGS" is meaningless to most people and if we need something for explaining the changes to existing users, a page designed for that would be better. I wouldn't even add stuff like you did on IPI, IMO it's either part of MB or it's not and if people are interested in the history, we already try to document when things were added in our release notes. Maybe it's just me though... --Nikki 09:08, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
- I can understand your objection to the category; I think I was more using it as a personal aide in editing. I realized myself it wouldn't be that useful to end-users. Regarding IPI, I like more what I did there then on e.g. ISWC. While editing, I realized it would be more useful to intertwingle the release notes than to tie everything to the indeed quite meaningless NGS. I was trying to find the line between revisionism ("We have always stored IPIs") and a history text ("Fueled by a heated 2005 mailing list debate, ..."). Regarding the former, mentioning something like NGS can give readers the tangible benefit of understanding why there are, for example, not a lot of IPIs entered. One sentence like that could even be the entire history (because I just realized there's nothing on the release notes about them). I'll convert my list of NGS terminology to User space. I think you have deletion rights, so while you don't need it, you have my permission to remove the cat. --Azertus 09:41, 23 May 2011 (UTC)
I accidently created Azertus/Harmonia_Mundi instead of User:Azertus/Harmonia_Mundi. Could you perform a move? Also let me know if there's a better/more official avenue for such a request. Thanks! ETA - 13:22, 24 May 2011 (UTC): Do we have a water cooler or community/wiki warden discussion page? --Azertus 12:38, 24 May 2011 (UTC)
- Done! Is it OK to delete the redirect it created too?
- We don't have anything like a water cooler/wiki discussion page right now (not many people editing the wiki at all these days :( ). It would make sense to have one though. I'll see if we can set one up. --Nikki 02:45, 25 May 2011 (UTC)
- I posted the link to the old page on the mailing list. Perhaps wait a week or two until I've sent a new link or the interest has slowed down... --Azertus 13:15, 25 May 2011 (UTC)