add Artist Alias Edit
From MusicBrainz WikiJump to navigationJump to search
This edit adds an ArtistAlias to an existing Artist
How to do it
- The Add New Alias link below the list of existing aliases on an artist aliases page takes you to a page where you can add a new ArtistAlias (AddArtistAliasEdit).
- Aliases are useful to enhance search results; there are a number of legit reasons to create a new alias: misspellings, variants, numbers... Be sure to read ArtistAlias for a complete list.
- Thanks to the Lucene search engine that MusicBrainz uses, there is no longer a need for aliases containing unaccented characters
- ArtistAlias in MusicBrainz are not the same as in Discogs: an alias here is nothing more than a search hint, not a way to collect different names used by an artist in different circumstances (use a PerformanceName in that case).
- There is no reason to add an ArtistSortName as an alias.
- Adding aliases won't help LastFm! They no longer use MusicBrainz as a source for their data, and never used ArtistAlias
- Use ArtistAlias
es sparingly. Adding too many (bogus) aliases will actually degrade the search quality and encourage misattribution.
- The ArtistAlias page covers most legitimate uses.
- An AddArtistAliasEdit will fail due to a FailedPrerequisite if the artist is deleted by a RemoveArtistEdit.
- None since 323276
Symbolic name and id