This style guide applies to tracks that are labeled as medleys or tracks that have multiple songs.
The general style should be "TrackTitle" if all of the songs in the medley are not original to the medley (i.e. if the same recording was released elsewhere) or "TrackTitle: SongTitle 1 / SongTitle 2 / ..." if at least one of the songs is original to the medley.
If there is no TrackTitle, it should be left out along with the ": ".
If there are no SongTitle
s, they should be left out along with the ": ". If the songs that make up the medley are listed somewhere other than the TrackList and the recordings were released elsewhere, they should be linked with AdvancedRelationships. If they're listed elsewhere and are original to the medley, they should be added to the appropriate annotation.
If the TrackTitle ends in "medley" it should be changed to "(medley)" unless the TrackTitle is "medley" in which case it shouldn't be changed. Also, if the word medley is obviously part of the TrackTitle it should not be converted to (medley).
Song numbers or letters should not be included.
You should use the MedleyRelationshipType to link a medley to the individual songs, recorded elsewhere, that make it up if the songs are not original to the medley.
These are real-life examples.
- "Mercyful Fate: Satan's Fall / Curse of the Pharaohs / A Corpse Without Soul / Into the Coven / Evil" --http://musicbrainz.org/track/d5ebe441-df40-4667-9431-a891cbb47807.html
- "Contney's Yard / Heave Together / My Needs" --http://musicbrainz.org/track/4b876149-a045-4d60-86f4-c618890e08ec.html
- "Shirei Ro'im Ve'o'havim (medley): Shir Hashomer / Erev Shach / Ro'e Vero'a / Shir Hakad / Debka Rafi'ach" --http://musicbrainz.org/track/783e7927-87a4-4fbd-bfd0-3ae61ded8af6.html
- "Die längste Single der Welt" --http://musicbrainz.org/track/0c941c46-1e2f-435e-8027-af0559ff9e07.html
These examples should cover every possible scenario.
- should be "Foo: Bar / Baz / Quux"
- Foo Medley
- Bar should be "Foo (medley): Bar / Baz / Bar"
- Quux where the Quux recording has been released elsewhere, should be "Medley: Bar / Baz / Quux" with AdvancedRelationships to the Quux recording that was used in the medley
- This Is a Great Medley
- Quux should be "This Is a Great Medley: Bar / Baz / Quux"
- Quux should be "Bar / Quux"
- Quux where the recordings of Bar and Quux have been released elsewhere, should be "Foo" with AdvancedRelationships to the Bar and Quux recordings that were used in the medley
- Foo Medley
- should be "Foo (medley)"