MusicBrainz Summit 12 will happen in Barcelona, Catalonia/Spain on November 9-11, 2012.
Attendees should expect to arrive in Barcelona in the afternoon/evening of November 9 and plan to depart in the afternoon/evening of November 11.
We will be meeting at Universitat Pompeu Fabra. We have a 40 person classroom and a couple of smaller rooms available to us in the Tànger building of the UPF campus. The rooms are reserved for us from 15h to 21h on Friday and from 10h to 21h on Saturday and Sunday. The classrooms will have WiFi, whiteboards and all the things we could need for having a summit.
Food and drink is allowed, but there will be no cleaning services, which is not a problem. We've always managed to clean up after ourselves. :)
Informal gathering at Nouvel 1 apartment as we settle in.
Free-form day! We probably won't have an official schedule for Friday -- come to the Nouvel 1 apartment at 10am if you would like to have breakfast with everyone. Come join the MB hackers and community members to learn more about MusicBrainz and discuss various aspects of MusicBrainz. Maybe we'll do some hacking, maybe we'll plan some new evil projects. We'll arrange for food as we need it and just go with the flow! We will certainly be in the apartment for the morning and early afternoon on Friday. For the late afternoon on Friday we'll may move to the Tanger building.
The summit officially starts at 10:00 Saturday morning at the Tànger building at UPF:
- 10:00 Meet and get settled
- 10:30 Discuss detailed agenda and create a schedule
- 20:30 Dinner at H10 Universitat Hotel, located at Ronda Universitat, 21
The more detailed schedule will be determined by the everyone -- once we have a solid schedule in place we will update this page. (this includes our schedule for Sunday!)
|Brewster Kahle||Oliver Charles|
|Spotify||Music Technology Group, UPF|
Barcelona's El Prat airport (BCN) is a big airport with a lot of airlines flying to and from there. To get from the airport to the Plaça de Catalunya (City center) take the AeroBus that departs from ground level at both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Note which terminal you came in on -- you'll need to get back on the same bus to get back to BCN. The bus is 5.65 EUR one way. From Plaça de Catalunya take the Metro to the apartment -- we'll post details once we rent an apartment.
- Airlines & terminals at BCN airport.
- AeroBus convenient bus to and from BCN to the city center
- AeroBus timetable
We've booked an apartment for 8 people and a hostel for 4 people. IMPORTANT: if you are not listed in either place, you need to coordinate your own lodgings.
Web page for the apartment: Nouvel 1 (Bac de Roda 118, 12th floor, apartment 3). This is apartment number 3 on the twelfth floor.
You're looking for a building that looks like this: http://goo.gl/maps/htaYk
The following people will be staying in the Nouvel I apartment: navap, Nikki, freso, ruaok, marianaa_f, chirlu, kepstin, ianmcorvidae
Directions: To get to the apartment from Plaça Catalunya, walk 500m on the Ronda de Sant Pere (towards the big El Corte Inglés shopping mall) until you reach the Urquinaona metro stop (map). Take the L4 towards La Pau, and go down in Poblenou station. Walk (against the traffic direction) on Pujades street until it crosses Bac de Roda, and turn left - the apartment is a few blocks up Bac de Roda, after crossing Diagonal (the very big avenue) (map). If you want to avoid the first bit of walking you can get the L1 metro on Catalunya towards Fondo and change in Urquinaona, although it probably takes longer than just walking there.
The hostel is Twentytú
To get there from Plaça Catalunya, see this map!
The following people will be staying at the hostel:
- ocharles, catcat, kuno, reosarevok
We will organize our own food again during the summit (crowd sourced shopping FTW!). We'll always have food at the apartment and we'l likely find a restaurant for dinner on Friday. Saturday evening we have a dinner reserved at H10 Universitat Hotel.
if you're planning on attending put your name down below. Don't worry - doesn't have to be definite, but it's nice to have a rough idea :)
By order of arrival
|From||To||Time||Airline/Flight No.||From||To||Time||Airline/Flight No.|
|Alastair||will be there because he'll be working at UPF by then|
|Moha||will be there because he is already working at UPF|
|Sertan||will be there because he is already working at UPF|
|Ajay||will be there because he is already working at UPF|
|Xavier Serra||will be there because he is already working at UPF|
|Kainan Chen||will be there because he is already working at UPF|
|warp / kuno||AMS||BCN||Thu 09:10||VY8318||BCN||AMS||Mon 15:55||VY8322|
|reosarevok||FRA||BCN||Thu 17:55||Lufthansa LH 1132||BCN||FRA||Mon 10:05||Lufthansa LH 1125||Coming from Riga, leaving to Tallinn|
|Nikki||CGN||BCN||Thu 18:50||Germanwings 4U526||BCN||CGN||Mon 19:30||Germanwings 4U527|
|ocharles||LHR||BCN||Thu 18:50||Iberia 7473||BCN||LHR||Mon 10:10||Iberia 7470|
|chirlu||STR||BCN||Thu 18:55||Germanwings (4U) 2520||BCN||STR||Mon 09:10||Germanwings (4U) 2529|
|Freso||ZRH||BCN||Thu 19:05||Swiss 1956||BCN||ZRH||Mon 09:45||Swiss 1953|
|Jerry Jalava||HEL||BCN||Thu 20:20||Finnair 3269||BCN||HEL||Mon 10:15||Finnair 3270|
|ruaok||MUC||BCN||Thu 21:35||LH 1816||BCN||LHR||Mon 11:30||British Airways 479|
|CatCat||RYG||BCN||Thu 23:59||Ryanair FR6323||BCN||CRL||Mon 06:55||Ryanair FR6392||leave from BCN to CRL Mon at 6:55 on Ryanair (FR6392), from CRL to RYG (finally) at 17:30 (still) on Ryanair (FR6098)|
|kepstin||JFK||BCN||Fri 07:15||American Airlines 66||BCN||JFK||Mon 10:00||American Airlines 67||Booked! Full flight plan is YOW - ORD - JFK - BCN (whoops, got the wrong arrival date originally! fixed now!)|
|ianmcorvidae||EWR||BCN||Fri 09:00||United 120||BCN||SEN||Mon 14:20||easyJet 7384||heading to London after for Music Hack Day|
|marianaa_f||OPO||BCN||Fri 09:25||Ryanair FR4584||BCN||OPO||Mon 09:55||Ryanair FR4585|
|ijabz||BRS||BCN||Fri 10:10||Easyjet 6025||BCN||BRS||Mon 13:55||Easyjet 6026|
|navap||YYZ||BCN||Fri 10:55||New Atalia 74||BCN||YYZ||Mon 11:10||Delta 95||Connecting in Rome. YYZ-FCO-BCN: New Atalia 651, New Atalia 74|
|henok||ARN||BCN||Fri 15:00||?||BCN||ARN||Sun 15:50||?|
- Brewster Kahle
Please note: In order to gain access to the building we need to provide the names/passport numbers of all of the attendees 2 weeks prior to the summit. (We will be able to register people after this point, but we should aim to have all this info in 2 weeks prior for all known attendees)
Thursday evening meet-up
For people arriving BCN on thursday evening, let us meet at the group Meeting Point in the arrivals hall in Terminal 2 between 19:30h and 20:00h. Once we have everyone, we'll take the bus to Plaça de Catalunya together.
Suggested discussion topics
We'll work up this list of discussion topics into a concrete agenda on Saturday morning:
- Moving musicbrainz.org to cloud hosting
- DiscIDs (fuzzy matching, drop them entirely, what to do about pre-1982, etc.)
- Before I forget it: I'd say a flag "for this release" vs. "inherited" is the least bad way to go if we want to keep them.--Reosarevok 01:59, 27 June 2012 (UTC)
- Before anything is decided: before dropping discids, think about improving user experience for submitting / triaging discids: MBS-4326, MBS-2524, MBS-2830, MBS-4582, MBS-2318, ... Murdos 19:30, 27 June 2012 (UTC)
- Series (i.e. series of recordings, podcasts/radio shows, and series of releases) (MBS-2714)(summary)
- Box-sets (MBS-4450)
- Genres: We really need them. The world wants us to have them. How do we get there? (related: MBS-3738)
- Unverified flag for release adds w/o votes --Reosarevok (talk) 18:49, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
- Locations + (maybe) Events (MBS-799). We don't *need* them like we do genres but they would be nice. How do we get there? --Reosarevok (talk) 18:49, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
- MBS-2417/MBS-2229 Support multiple countries/regions on a single release, one of the most wanted things at last years summit, but no progress so far -- Ijabz
- Our stuff is *hard* for beginners - would it make sense to create a beginner overlay that explains the basic stuff and gives some links and can be deactivated once they're comfortable? --Reosarevok (talk) 23:06, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
- How to better promote ourselves OCharles
- CompMusic involvement in MusicBrainz. CM has a few wants for our data storage (e.g., MBS-3296). We want to have a chat about what's worthwhile to get added that is also useful to others. There's a strong likelihood that we'll be able to contribute developer time for it. It was suggested we meet offline early in the weekend and take any suggestions to everyone else for feedback. -- Alastair
- How much progress did we make on features from the last summit? -- ocharles
- The wiki was upgraded. We're still looking at pretty much everything else: Perhaps if I'm efficient enough ingestr will be up in a limited capacity by the summit; Release group properties became secondary types, which at the last summit we'd actually postponed, but that's been done; We finally have SSL, but not in any required way and nothing else from that point; Acoustid is vaguely integrated, via JS; CAA exists but that wasn't discussed beyond "here's what we plan"; we're 90% moved to github at this point; reports have improved somewhat, but filtering (especially collaboratively) is still very limited. Ianmcorvidae (talk) 22:22, 1 November 2012 (UTC)
- Give us track identifiers so we can merge more recordings! --warp
- Our designer has come up with a first cut of new logos.
- Editable webservice --ijabz
- How can we improve the storage/display of transl(iter)ated releases (now pseudo-releases)? Kepstin (talk) 15:55, 10 November 2012 (UTC)
- Artist image archive (MBS-4628 (and maybe label logo archive too? (MBS-4683)) --Reosarevok (talk) 18:49, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
- Tentative: more CC music stuff, collaborating with the IA in a CC Music Archive of sorts - if it is actually OK to upload CC-licensed music to the IA without being the owner, of course. Which I'm not sure about. --Reosarevok (talk) 18:53, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
- Streaming music link display --Reosarevok (talk) 18:49, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
For a brief summary, read the blog post.
For a detailed summary, read the google doc.