Summit 22 is happening between October 7 and 9 2022, at MetaBrainz HQ in Barcelona, Spain. Local time zone is Central European Summer time (CEST, UTC+2:00).
Virtual attendees can join via Zoom:
Chat during the summit will be in the #metabrainz IRC channel (please refrain from using Zoom chat and YouTube chat will be disabled).
The summit will also be streamed (and archived) on YouTube:
There are also written notes of what has been discussed.
COVID-19 tests will be available in the office. You will be required to do a daily test on arrival at the office. Tests can be picked up any time beforehand also, for earlier testing.
A safety kit is available at the office (tests, masks, disinfectant, etc)
Masks are encouraged but may not be practical for the whole summit.
If you test positive you will be asked to go the lodgings and participate virtually.
Suggestions of additional measures are welcome - everyone should feel safe!
Schedule of Events
This year we're going to change up the agenda in order to make it fit better with our inherit behavior of needing to socialize in the mornings. :)
Each day we'll gather in the morning in the office, where we'll have breakfast. Come when you are ready to come. Lunch will be in the office at 13:00 and we'll start our afternoon meetings each day at 14:00.
Each day we're going to tackle big topics and then once the big topics are taken care of, we'll ask for smaller topics that others wish to talk about:
- Mornings, until 13:00 CEST (: Be in the office, talk to people, catch up, whatever. [Until 11:00 UTC]
- Lunch, 13:00 - 14:00: Lunch in the office, brought in from local places. [11:00-12:00 UTC]
- Big topics: 14:00 - 17:00 CEST -- see agenda. [12:00-15:00 UTC]
- Ad hoc topics: 17:00 - 19:30 CEST [15:00-17:30 UTC]
- Dinner, at a restaurant, at 20:30 [18:30 UTC].
Big topics to discuss and who needs to be present:
- How to integrate Aerozol into our team effectively (everyone)
- From project development to infrastructure maintenance (every techie: developers and sysadmins)
- Security management (everyone)
- Oauth (everyone)
- Bug tracker, post self hosted Jira. (everyone)
- Why do we not bring napkins to the summits?
- Update on translation service (Weblate)
Because we'll have most of the team in the same place it might make sense to have a few in-person informal hack sessions to get some projects off the ground. Ideas:
- Oauth proof of concept (monkey)
- SolrCloud 9 VMs for MB test (Alastair, YvanZo, Zas)
- Prometheus /metrics endpoint proof of concept (YvanZo, Zas)
- consul/service registrator/config file/application restart workflow (Alastair, Low priority)
The first AirBnB reservation has been made:
- AirBnB 1: Carrer de Nàpols, 98 ATIC 3ª, Barcelona, Catalunya 08013 (Akshat, Aerozol and ATJ)
- AirBnB 2: Carrer Ausiàs Marc, 59 planta 4 - puerta 1, 08010 Barcelona (Bitmap, Yvanzo, [spare bed])
Breakfast and lunch will be at the office, arranged by Monkey.
For dinner, we plan to go out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings -- the other evenings we'll arrange closer to the time as we understand who is interested in going to dinner.
- Friday 8.30: Green Spot Carrer de la Reina Cristina, 12 (Barceloneta)
- Saturday 8.30: Fat Veggies, Carrer de París 168 (Diagonal)
- Sunday 8.30: Flax & Kale, Carrer de Sant Pere Més Alt 31 (Born)
We'll be at OfficeBrainz.
Summit attendees this year, sorted by arrival time:
|Arrival date||Arrival transport||Departure date||Departure transport||Lodging||Food Preference||T-Shirt Size|
|Alastair||Lives in BCN||-||-||-||No||M|
|Monkey||Lives in BCN||Bike||-||-||No||Hot sauce||M|
|ruaok||Lives in BCN||OneWheel||-||Skates||No||🌱🐽🐟||XL|
|Zas||Thu 29th Sep @ 16:54||Train / Sants||Tue 11th @ 16:36||Train / Sants||Oasis (mayhem's place)||Anything but cucumber||M|
|yvanzo||Wed 5th @ 16:54||Train / Sants||Tue 11th @ 11:05||Flight / T2 / EI563||AirBnB2||edible||eLegant|
|Bitmap||Wed 5th @ 09:00||AA 40||Tue 11th @ 09:40||AA 41||AirBnB2||Vegetarian||M|
|Aerozol||Tue 4th @ 08:30||Airplane||Wed 12th @ 10:20||Airplane||AirBnB1||Vegan||M|
|akshaaatt||Tue 4th @ 13:00||Airplane||Mon 10th @ 06:50||Airplane||AirBnB1||Anything and Everything||L|
|Atj||Tue 4th @ 16:00||Plane||Wed 12th @ 16:35||Plane||AirBnB1||🌱🐽🐟 🫖 🍺||M|
- Monkey: Food in the office: Both breakfast and lunch
- Alastair: Covid preparedness: procuring self test, masks, hand sanitizer and whatever else we may feel we need in order to be safe.
- Mayhem: Reservations for restaurants Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening.
- Zas: Receiving attendees from the aerobus and shuffling them to their lodgings.
Emergency phone numbers
- 112 All emergencies
While the incidence of covid in Spain is very low, we want to take precautions to minimise the chance that it affects our summit, especially with so many guests traveling to Barcelona. Our overarching policy for the summit is "if something happens, it's nobody's fault, Metabrainz will help to take care of you”. This means that we want to have an open environment for concerns - if you start to feel unwell (typical covid symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, etc), then please let everyone know as soon as possible.
Spanish covid rules
At this point in time, masks are required when on public transport and when in health centers (pharmacies and hospitals). MetaBrainz will provide both surgical and FFP2 (N95) masks to all participants who need them.
Spanish rules currently state that even if you are positive with covid, you do not need to isolate, or stay home. However, we ask that you consider your teammates and other humans, and try to minimise unmasked contact with others.
- MetaBrainz will provide Rapid Antigen Tests to all participants. Everyone will have to self-test on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This is our first and main line of defense, so let’s make sure we test properly
- We will have hand gel and masks (and ziploc bags to put them away safely) available at the office, as well as disinfectant for the surfaces
- As we are testing each day, masks will not be required during summit events, although you are welcome to wear them if you wish
- Be aware of your body: if you are feeling sore,tired, you feel any fever or sore throat, don’t take a chance ! Please share your doubts with the group so that together we can decide on a safe plan of action. There is no shame nor fault of your own, we just want everyone to feel safe.
“Oh no!” plan
In the event that one (or more) of us tests positive, we will turn one of the AirBnBs into a quarantine ward, where that person can participate remotely if they wish.
Of course if you are feeling tired and sick you are not required to participate.
We will also do everything we can to make the quarantine more liveable: we’ll run errands to get necessities, get food delivered and check up regularly, and anything else you require (no ponies)
If you've never been to Barcelona, we'll arrange to have someone meet you at Plaça Cataluyna or at the Arc de Triomf train station. Details on how to arrive:
If you come by plane, you'll land at El Prat International Airport. The simplest way to go to the city center from there is to use Aerobús, a return ticket costs 10.20€ and can be bought online at https://aerobusbarcelona.es If you arrive at Terminal 1 then you will take the A1 bus to Barcelona. A2 runs from Terminal 2.
When returning to the airport, ensure that you choose the correct bus for your terminal, A1 is to Terminal 1, A2 to Terminal 2.
If you come by train, you'll likely arrive at Barcelona Sants. From there you can use Rodalies trains.
To go to Arc de Triomf (AirBnBs, OfficeBrainz) or Plaça Catalunya (center of town) from Sants, you can use lines:
- R1 (direction Maçanet-Massanes)
- R3 (direction Puigcerdà)
- R4 (direction Manresa)
You may want to buy at departure station a T-Casual 10 trips 1 zone ticket: https://www.tmb.cat/en/barcelona-fares-metro-bus/single-and-integrated/t-casual They work for 10 trips using metro/bus/tram/Rodalies in city center. You can also use TMB App (Metro Bus Barcelona) on mobiles.