User:Freso/Thoughts on Recordings
From MusicBrainz Wiki
Recordings as they currently stand, aren't very well defined as it stands.
What I'd like is...
- to be able to always tell one track from another, even if they're the same audio.
- to be able to "uniquely" link audio based identifiers (e.g. AcoustIDs - but could be anything else as well, that might not currently exist) to a track on a Release (ie., even though two tracks may be the same "recording", they may not have the same audio identifier for various reasons).
- to be able to group recording/performance credits from the recording session/recorded performance, similar to the way we relate composition credits to Works.
- being able to denote that a track/recording was released on its own, even after it's appeared on a Release.
- being able to attach images/"cover art" to tracks - some "stand alone recordings" have embedded art or otherwise has "cover art" attached to it, without them being a single
- to not have to keep track of "time"/length manually. Either pull time lengths from AcoustIDs, DiscIDs, track lists or some other way.