Google Code-in is a contest to introduce pre-university students (ages 13-17) to the many kinds of contributions that make free and open source software (FOSS) development possible. Students must complete tasks, one at a time. It is sponsored and run by Google. The Google Code-in 2017 contest runs from November 28, 2017 to January 17, 2018 (see the full timeline). MetaBrainz is participating for the third time.
General instructions for GCI students
Tasks are divided into the following categories:
- Code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
- Documentation/Training: Tasks related to creating/editing documents and helping others learn more
- Outreach/research: Tasks related to community management, outreach/marketing, or studying problems and recommending solutions
- Quality Assurance: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of high quality
- User Interface: Tasks related to user experience research or user interface design and interaction
Quality Over Quantity: It’s not about being the student who completes the most tasks, that only gets you to the top 10 to be reviewed, it doesn’t mean you will be a grand prize winner.
Collaboration: Open source is not just about coding but very much about working with other people to find the best solution. Being a part of the community is an essential part of success in Google Code-in. Mentors like students who worked hard on their projects but also participated on IRC and helped answer questions other students had. IRC channels for MetaBrainz are #metabrainz and #musicbrainz on the Freenode IRC network.
All communications should happen in the public and publicly logged IRC channels, #metabrainz and #musicbrainz. Private discussions are highly discouraged, unless it's personally sensitive. If you must message someone in private, be sure to ask in public first.
- Google Code-in/2015
- Google Code-in/2015/Task suggestions
- Google Code-in/2016
- Google Code-in/2016/Task suggestions
- Google Code-in/2017
- Google Code-in/2017/Task suggestions
- Google Code-in/2018
- Google Code-in/2018/Task suggestions
- Google Code-in/2019
- Google Code-in/Commonly used abbreviations
- Google Code-in/Elements of a CritiqueBrainz Review
- Google Code-in/Making videos
- Google Code-in/Mentoring
- Google Code-in/MusicBrainz editing
- Google Code-in/Releases not in MusicBrainz
- Google Code-in/Wiki Editing