Difference between revisions of "MusicBrainz Database/Schema"
|Line 64:||Line 64:|
Revision as of 08:08, 7 April 2009
Same as our current artist entity, but with new "country" and "genre" attributes.
List of artists, variations of artist names and pieces of text to join the artist names. Examples:
- "Queen & David Bowie" -- two artists ("Queen" and "David Bowie"), no name variations, joined with " & "
- "Jean-Michel Jarre*" -- one artist ("Jean Michel Jarre"), name variation "Jean-Michel Jarre"
- "Tracy W. Bush, Derek Duke, Jason Hayes and Glenn Stafford" -- four artists, no name variations, joined with ", ", ", ", ", " and " and ".
Represents an abstract "album" entity. Technically it's a group of releases, with a specified type. The type is the same as current release type. Examples:
Real-world release object you can buy in your music store. It has release date and country, list of catalog number and label pairs, packaging type and release status. Example:
- 1984 US release of "The Wall" by "Pink Floyd", release on label "Columbia Records" with catalog number "C2K 36183" and UPC "074643618328", it's an official release and comes with two CDs in jewel case.
Piece of physical media, included in a release. It has information about the format, position in the release and an optional title. Example:
- CD1 of the 1984 US release of "The Wall" by "Pink Floyd"
- CD2 of the 2005 UK release of "Aerial" by "Kate Bush", named "A Sky of Honey"
Simple list of tracks, tracklists are used by mediums.
This object is not visible to users on it's own, only in the context of a tracklist. It contains a link to a track, title, artist credit and the position on the tracklist.
- Album version of the track "Into the Blue" by "Moby"
- Remix "Into the Blue (Buzz Boys Main Room Mayhem mix)" by "Moby"
- Remix "Into the Blue (Underground mix)" by "Moby"
One layer above the master tracks ("song", "composition", etc.). While track represents unique audio data, work represents the abstract idea behind the track.
- Song "Into the Blue" by "Moby" -- all the tracks listed above will be linked to this object
Same as our current label entity.
This diagrams shows the core database tables and relationships between them:
Because we are adding new core entities, and there are plans for adding more, ARs between them need to be optimized. Only the absolutely necessary information is in l_*_* tables, everything else is shared: