WikiWardening > WikiWardening | WikiWarden
Early 2007, new efforts are made to push the wiki forward and drastically enhance both the documentation quality and the wiki health state as a whole. This page serves as a fast moving memo for WikiWarden
s to coordinate their work. It has no special structure, no rules, will be heavily edited, and most discussion started here will certainly be DeleteWhenCooked. Still, ideas and discussion that are worth keeping may be moved to another page if there is a need for that (like WikiWardeningHistory).
If you see anything in the documentation or in the wiki that should be addressed, report it here, or contact a WikiWarden.
Obtain MoinMoin upgrade
- but stop spamming him about this :p -- dmppanda 17:10, 05 April 2007 (UTC)
Relevant ticket is 2320.
WikiWardens on this
In its current state, this is unusable. Counts around 877.
Bring it down below ~500 links.
- A lot of links in there are "just bogus" (accidental CamelCase, wrong use of brackets ["ASIN"], etc). All of these should be "fixed" (edited so that they don't link anymore).
- Some links in there are typo-ed, and should be properly edited to point to the correct page.
- Some links are outdated (page has moved), they should be fixed also
- broken sigs: some WikiZen have troubles spelling their own names :-) (Ruaok, among other) - help them for their own good!
- missing redirect: some WikiZen have a personal page, but use a differently named wiki account. Create the redirection page for them.
- Jazz/Label/* created quite a lot of bogus links, as they often contain records catalogs, with camelcased names. These pages will eventually disappear. Meanwhile, you can inhibate the links
- don't inhibate sigs for wiki editors without personal pages (they might want to create one later)!
- think twice before inhibating things that looks like BadWikiName of otherwise valid WantedPages.
- when in doubt, just leave them alone!
- to inhibate a camelcased link, use
- to inhibate a bracketted link, use entities instead of brackets:
WikiWardens on this
Monitor incoming pages
Pages are created by everybody, from WikiMaster
s to WikiNewbie
s. The later usually don't use categories, don't sign their edits, don't intertwingle things, use BadWikiName
s, don't check spelling, introduce bogus links, or even create completely useless pages.
Monitor all page creation, and at least mark these pages with the relevant WikiTag
Maybe we should have also:
-- dmppanda 15:28, 05 April 2007 (UTC)
... or at best, do the work immediately.
WikiWardens on this
We have quite a lot of pages completely useless or irrelevant to MusicBrainz.
- They should be removed, and if any, all the links to them replaced by proper links to other resources (eg: WikiPedia).
- Update and simplify the informal "deletion mechanism" (that we inherited). Update the relevant documentation.
- Please don't delete pages that present historical interest. These are handled differently.
- Please don't delete personal pages, even empty, even abandoned for years, even orphaned (though you may eventually edit them to at least be of CategoryPerson).
- Or should we? Empty pages, orphaned, unedited since the wiki migration: is there a point in keeping these? Please AnswerMe -- dmppanda 17:09, 05 April 2007 (UTC)
You may want to take a look at AbandonedPages and OrphanedPages (and also to Stub) to find CandidateForDeletion. Also, you may want to review pages that don't directly pertain to MusicBrainz (pages on foreign technologies/random topics for example). Most of them should be superceded by their equivalent (better and maintained) pages at WikiPedia.
- if you're sure a page should be deleted, add a DeletedPage tag somewhere in it, with some arguments
- if you think, but are not sure a page should be deleted, use CandidateForDeletion instead
- subscribe to this page, so you are notified of changes on it and can answer people
- wait a month. If no one reacts negatively, either change the tag from CandidateForDeletion to DeletedPage and wait a bit more, or if it is already a DeletedPage, bug somebody in PageDeletorGroup so that he deletes the page effectively
Tips for members of PageDeletorGroup:
- do a full text search on the wiki to list all links pointing to the DeletedPage: something like
- replace or inhibate all links
- triple check that you're doing the right thing
- delete the page
WikiWardens on this
Pages that should point to wikipedia instead
See DeletedPage above. Maybe maintain a list of these here.
This is my mess. There are several problems with the Jazz/Label/* pages which include:
- bogus camel links (see WantedPages)
- pages appear orphaned
- Migrate all relevant data into MusicBrainz (now that we have labels!).
Just ignore these pages whenever they appear (but in WantedPages)
With a (short) checklist of things to verify (intertwingling, categories, spelling, etc).
- Split* Maybe split* Read/rewrite/enhance categories descriptions
- Check what's in CategoriesDiscussion
Attachments, includes, cards, etc. Also see MoinMoin 1.5 migration.
- Create an entry point like HistoryHome for historical pages. Create special categories for historical proposal, historical guidelines, ...
I'm not sure WikiDocs and transclusion are directly related to WikiWardening: a TransclusionEditor sure need to be a WikiWarden of his wikidocs pages, but a lot of wikipages don't need to be WikiDocs. Might be related to restructurating/documenting distinction. -- murdos 16:52, 05 April 2007 (UTC)
- Sure. And we definitely need to separate documentation efforts, and restructuration/wardening. Though, I think both belong here, because of a simple fact: we don't have arms enough to afford the separation... For now, all manpower is here I guess :-) -- dmppanda 19:33, 05 April 2007 (UTC)
Split documentation into responsabilities zones.
- clean, transcluded
- some work to do, transclusion ASAP
- Category nesting (murdos).
- think of a masterplan about categories.
Raw ideas and various things todo
- Promote the use of cards (don't forget that Cards on navigation don't really behave nicely)
- But don't overuse them ;-)
- Build templates for cards
- niceify the documentation! Random ideas:
- use some specific style to make nav and intertwingling cards look a bit different (dirty hack: call the card from within a styled table)
- use "smileys" to underline semantic value of things
- use different icons in the head of pages, that "reflects" the part of the documentation we are in (eg: categories or "topic").
- investigate Cards/Intertwingling ideas (think WikiPedia "portals")
- differentiate restructuring tasks (defining categories, renaming, ...) and improving content tasks (updating docs, ...)
- find some documentation about FullSearch macro (where the heck is it located?)
- move my ass to have Label doc in a decent state
- discuss if we want to addto ".+Future" pages, or if we want a new category.
- investigate the behavior of Cards with arguments, and how to use that for status card differenciation depending on the caller page in transcluded pages.
- discuss if the current structure used on annotation is a good thing (or not) that we could reuse as a "template" for a number of other things (Artist, Release...):
- all pages have the category of the topic (eg:)
- Navigation and intertwingling cards.
- Pages declined following:
- Mainpage (eg: Annotation)
- FAQ (eg: AnnotationFAQ, plus category FAQ)
- Howto (eg: HowAnnotationsWork, plus category Howto)
- History (eg: AnnotationHistory, plus category History)
- Discussion (eg: AnnotationDiscussion, plus category Discussion)
- Future (eg: AnnotationFuture, actually plus category Discussion, maybe Development or something else)
- Edits doc
- AdvancedRelationships documentation (not for Annotation obviously)
- Additional documentation specific to the topic
- 2320: Upgrade moin
- 2672: Cards and transclusion behavior
- 1962: Transclusion hasn't work so well so far, lack of manpower
- We need to prove that wrong! -- dmppanda 15:48, 05 April 2007 (UTC)
- 1799: WikiDocs does not produce valid XHTML
- 1530: Show transcluded wiki page in user profile in main site.
- Not sure this is a so good idea. I for one don't want to see my big blurb/notes appear in my (very short) bio. -- dmppanda 15:48, 05 April 2007 (UTC)
- 1489: Wiki transclusion data in wrong place
- 1112: Wiki Transclusion should check for correct WikiName and Revision Number
- 849: Provide translations for key documentation
Things here for some reason :-)
Orphaned redirects (non personal pages)
Some of them may be used by tagger clients:
Links to pages that I don't want to see anymore in OrphanedPages
Personal pages redirects:
Personal pages updated at least once in 2007 - no backlinks on the wiki (orphaned):
Personal pages updated at least once in 2006 - no backlinks on the wiki (orphaned):
- Thomas Jefferson
Personal pages untouched since the wiki migration - no backlinks (orphaned):
- Szabolcs Péter